Macbook problem. Err... help?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by grasientus, Jul 31, 2011.

1. grasientus macrumors newbie

I've recently moved and sold on my iMac and gone to using my Macbook as my primary computer. I'm not exactly a power user so it all seemed to make sense. I am having problems and could do with some advice.

Basically my system is running slow and is struggling badly. Typically I will have Mail and Safari open at most times. Preview is often left open too. My Macbook is struggling with having two or three Safari windows open and maybe running a Youtube video (360 or 480p) or something simultaneously. It also seems to be having terrible trouble with it's wifi and often can't find any networks (I live in flats and there are many). If it does find them it can take ages to connect or just give up. Lots of beachballs of death, fans going crazy and a very warm computer (used on my lap but not hot enough to burn). Seems that I'm really not working it that hard and I'm pretty sure my old 12" G5 Powerbook wouldn't have broken such a sweat...

A few system details...

Aluminium Macbook (not a pro, it's from that short period when they did make them) with 2.0Ghz Core2duo, 2GB RAM DDR3 running Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

A few other details

Before I switched across I wiped the computer and rebuilt using a Time Machine backup from my iMac. Not aware that this should be a problem but I mention it anyway.

My net connection is via a tethered iPhone 4. Mostly use the bluetooth connection as wifi is causing such a problem (getting faster results with bluetooth too).

Any ideas? I'm all a bit stumped. I tried setting up an extra blank account and haven't heavily run it though it's paces but did find the same problems with wifi on that too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you've read this far then I applaud your high boredom threshold :)

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I would do a clean install of Snow Leopard. Something probably broke in the iMac transfer like driver updates and such. You could do with bait more RAM as well. I found SL a bit sluggish on 2GB.

3. grasientus thread starter macrumors newbie

Had been hoping to avoid that but it does seem like the only course. It's not the reinstall that worries me it's the massive update I'll have to do on the installation over 3G. Eek...

Ah well, guess I'll have to start making some manual backups...

Oh, and thanks for the response :)

4. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

a clean install will make your computer run smooth.

Thing is, those multiple vids you run eat up your RAM. I would still do the restore. But go to activity monitor, check your RAM and see if it swaps, if it does a lot of swaps (100+) when your computer slows down, you may want to invest in RAM