MacBook problem with reboot

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Invicta, May 21, 2008.

1. Invicta macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I recently purchased a refurb macbook from apple about 6 months ago. Everything was fine until a few days ago when I plugged in an external USB drive... the computer froze... ultimately I had to reboot, remove the drive and things went back to normal, but I could not open any of my destop applications. Finally, I ended up archive/installing things and yesterday this was done and after a long process it was back to normal again. This morning I tried to boot up the computer and it's a blank screen. No apple, no folder, no spinning wheel, no nothing... and if I place the install CD in and hold 'C' it ultimately ejects the CD??? I'm rather new with macs, but have NO idea what's wrong... if anyone could suggest anything I'd be very appreciative. I'm nowhere near an apple store (in my state).

I

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Is this an "external hard drive?" Did you purchase AppleCare? Have you tried calling Apple Phone Support? U.S. iPod and Mac technical support: 1-800-APL-CARE (1-800-275-2273). Hopefully, you can get immediate help. :(

3. danny_w macrumors 601

I recently bought a WD MyBook external USB drive, and have it setup into 3 partitions: SuperDuper! clone, data, and Time Machine. Whenever I try to reboot with the drive connected I get the same problems as you, although it does eventually boot if I leave it for several minutes. Rebooting without the drive is always fast. I haven't had time to diagnose the issue yet.

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Shut the machine down and disconnect the external USB drive.

Insert your Install disc (disc 1, not 2) and then reboot while holding down "C" and let it startup - it will take a few minutes. Quit the installer then run Disc Utility on your internal hard drive.

Let us know what happens......

5. Invicta thread starter macrumors newbie

Honestly,

If I just leave it running, it eventually powers down. If I insert the install CD and press 'C' it just ejects it eventually and never even brings up a prompt. I don't have applecare. The USB has been disconnected ever since the initial/inciting event a few days ago.

:(

6. logana macrumors 65816

logana

If you purchased it 6 months ago as a refurb from Apple then it will still be under their warranty surely ?

It is not starting up but the usb drive may just be a coincidence. When it starts up do you get the normal "boing".

It sounds more and more like a logicboard problem - if it won't boot from the install disc then logicboard or maybe a faulty optical drive. I am assuming you don't have access to another Mac ?