Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kimcheeboi65

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2006
Ever had your macbook screen go black and nothing works?? and had to press and hold the power button?

Mine just did that. Anyone else? and anyone know why this happens?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Take it to Apple. There are a few things that might be wrong with it but most likely it'll need the logic board replaced. Hopefully though, it'll only need a new battery. Before taking it to them, back everything up thoroughly. :)

kimcheeboi65

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2006
mad jew said:
Take it to Apple. There are a few things that might be wrong with it but most likely it'll need the logic board replaced. Hopefully though, it'll only need a new battery. Before taking it to them, back everything up thoroughly. :)

do you know what may be the cause? is it serious enough that i need to take it to apple?

what's the best way to back up your mac system?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I back up my system onto another system and transfer the files via an iPod. Do you have an iPod, an external drive, another computer or write-able DVDs? Any of these should suffice.

The trend seems to be that faulty logic boards are causing these problems. Logic board is Mac-speak for mother board and since it is such an integral part of your Mac, it should be dealt with quite promptly.

kimcheeboi65

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2006
mad jew said:
The trend seems to be that faulty logic boards are causing these problems. Logic board is Mac-speak for mother board and since it is such an integral part of your Mac, it should be dealt with quite promptly.

So the motherboard is the main problem? Would apple charge me on any of this? I have applecare.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, it's most likely the mother/logic board but an Apple tech should be able to tell you for sure. It'll be covered by the standard one year AppleCare warranty too. :)

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Mine does this on startup. I could hold Option-Command-P-R to bootup, and then backedup my stuff onto my other comp via the network (thanks to Apple's FTP Access!).

kimcheeboi65

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2006
"Laptop: MacBook 1.83|2GB RAM|100GB HDD|Mac OS X 10.4.7 IN REPAIR"

did you have the same problem?

how would the apple tech even be able to check if the motherboard's the problem? i feel like they'll probably say it's alright because it won't have the black screen when I'm there.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
sounds like you're suffering from the random shutdown issue.
When it shuts down, does it just go black? no warning?
What surface are you using it on? (ie does it feel hot?)
Whats the CPU load like when it shuts down? (check via Applications -> Utilities -> Activity Monitor, and click on the CPU tab near the bottom)

If the last two steps indicate its getting too hot, it may be Intels protection firmware shutting the system down before the CPUs melt.

If it just goes black with no apparent reason (not hot, not a lot of load, etc.), take it back, say its shutting down randomly, and they should replace the logic board for you.

I had the same problems, and i had the board replaced, and i haven't had a problem since.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
kimcheeboi65 said:

how would the apple tech even be able to check if the motherboard's the problem? i feel like they'll probably say it's alright because it won't have the black screen when I'm there.

If there is a major problem, the tech will find it. Computers don't randomly shut down unless there is a problem.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Scarlet Fever said:
sounds like you're suffering from the random shutdown issue.
I agree.

kimcheeboi65, if you want to see lots and lots of threads about it, head over to Apple's MacBook support forum.

kimcheeboi65

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2006
aristobrat said:
I agree.

kimcheeboi65, if you want to see lots and lots of threads about it, head over to Apple's MacBook support forum.

can you give me the link to the apple's macbook forum?

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
Any time you have a major problem, be sure to log a record of it with Apple.

If your machine is less than 14 days in your possession without any BTO options, sometimes the store will simply swap you for a new one.

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
kimcheeboi65 said:

My MacBook has loads of things wrong with it (mostly small things) but sometimes it won't boot. It will turn on, but will get a black screen. I think it may be the RAM, but I'm sending it in just in case (also to fix screen bleeding, dodgy trackpad button, ect).

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
If the RAM is from a third party vendor then don't maybe don't it in until you've tested the machine without the RAM installed. Otherwise Apple might just blame your third party RAM and not even bother with fixing the problem. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.