MacBook Problems - and Apple (Warranty)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EYESPORTS, Jul 29, 2007.

1. EYESPORTS macrumors member

I have a MacBook - purchased one year ago - and purchased with 3 year warranty (AppleCare). Can not start the computer now - light goes on for a blip - then off and nothing happens. I followed Apples suggestions (resetting memory, etc), but no help. I just brought the computer to the Genius Bar at the Apple Store. They opened it up and said I had "corrosion" on the memory board, and hard drive - and said it was due to liquid. They said it is not covered by warranty, or AppleCare. I am 100% positive that liquid was never spilled - or had any contact with the MacBook - I don't even expose it to outdoors, so rain is not a consideration. Apple said they would have to change everything - and it would cost $800+ - hardly worth it as for a few hundred more, a new machine can be purchased. I'm upset in that the computer is one year old, used sparingly, and I'm absolutely certain that it's never had contact with "liquid". I would appreciate any suggestions on what to do. Thanks.

2. kolax macrumors G3

Well, if they found liquid stains inside the computer then liquid must have got in there somehow.

You didn't lend your laptop to anyone?

3. EYESPORTS thread starter macrumors member

I'm positive that liquid was never in contact with the computer. The MacBook was not lent to anyone.

4. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

Call AppleCare and explain the situation to them. Sometimes they can be more sympathetic.

5. NetGX macrumors newbie

Try a different battery. I almost guarantee that it will be it.

It sounds like the same problem I was having. Strangely apple also said everthing needed to be replaced, they did replace everything under warranty and the problem was still there.

They refused to accept it could be the battery even though when I tell them its as simple as putting a new battery in to test it.

After a couple of heated conversations they finally said they would "humour me" by trying a new battery. It worked perfectly booted fine. The look on their face was priceless.

6. EYESPORTS thread starter macrumors member

Called AppleCare - guy seemed very nice - but he said that I have to speak with customer relations (closed today). He said they'll get in touch with the store to look at photos of it and will call me back tomorrow.

As for trying the new battery - I'll wait til I go back to the store - not sure about that one or what they'll say. Incidentally, wouldn't if it were the battery, wouldn't it still run with the power cord then?

7. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

Not always.

8. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

By corrosion I think they opened it up and found rust around the solder contacts?

Solder is an alloy of tin, so there will be green bits of rust around them (seen them before).

Do you live in a humid place?

9. EYESPORTS thread starter macrumors member

They took the MacBook in the back to open it - so as to not open it in front of me. They brought back the RAM memory module in a silver/clear bag and showed me some "white chalky stain" in it - no rust, no green or oxidizing noted. They also brought me a silver strip (?thin bracket with strip of rubber?) - this also had a smidgeon of the same white residue on it.

I live in New York - humid no - muggy (or should I say muggers) - yes. Long Island. Seriously, it's kept in a room that's not humid at all.

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Are you sure the "Genius" isn't on crack?:p

Do you allow your macbook to vent properly? My thinking is maybe what moisture there was in your notebook's interior was allowed to collect there because there wasn't sufficient airflow.

I don't know if you have, but try taking out the battery and using AC only. If it still doesn't work, try and find a macbook battery (go to the Apple Store and tell them you think yours isn't working) and test it that way. You said you live in NYC, so there should be several Apple Stores near you for you to try this out (so you can escape that same dumb "Genius").

11. EYESPORTS thread starter macrumors member

Well, so much for AppleCare. The guy who talked to me yesterday didn't even call me back (like he said he would). I called AppleCare today and got absolutely nowhere with them. They said that they took a look at pictures of it (sent by the Apple Store) and the only thing I could do is pay to replace the components ($800+).

I went back to the Apple Store today - took out the battery and plugged it in. No good. Tried a new battery - no good.

They showed me photos of the corrosion areas. They said that there are small areas on the Logic board and the hard drive. These are separate areas. It's on the bottom of the boards - but they said it's very weird in that there are no stains anywhere. I asked them about the "thermal paste" - but they said it's not that.

Anyway, I guess that I've exhausted all possibilities. Quite ashame as I'm positive that the MacBook was never exposed to any liquid at all. :( Very disappointed in Apple.

12. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

Truth be told, the boogie man didn't go into your computer and mess it up. If you've taken all these steps to see what was wrong with it I'm pretty sure you can trust what Apple is telling you. It's not like they're out to spread false rumors of water damage to computers. Those tech guys have been working with damaged computers for a long time. I wouldn't pay repairs though, or $800 another machine (like you said) is more reasonable.

Whatever you do, don't go windoze on us!

13. EYESPORTS thread starter macrumors member

A Hopefully Happy Ending !

I just got through sending off a lengthy e-mail to Steve Jobs (or one of his readers at Apple corp) regarding my disappointment.

I was surprised to have just received a call at home from The Apple Store. This had nothing to do with my e-mail, as I sent it minutes prior. The technician from the Genius Bar actually spoke with the manager there and felt bad about the entire situation.

He told me to bring back the computer and they would fix it at no charge. :) A hopefully happy ending and kudos to that particular employee at the Apple Store.

14. klaxamazoo macrumors 6502

Don't give up on getting it repaired.

Keep calling Applecare and immediately ask for a supervisor. I would say that that residue is a clear indication that the board wasn't made properly. Suggest that it could be a problem with their manufacturing failing to properly solder the boards because they are unused to the new ROHS manufacturing standards that took effect around the time that your macbook was made.

If you didn't spill liquid on your machine and your machine is not functioning properly under warranty that is Apple's fault. Not yours and you should not have to pay for Apple's poor manufacturing and materials specification.

You paid good money and Apple should not pass off shoddy work as your fault.

Just keep at them. Even it it takes 10 hours on the phone to get what you deserve, that is still the equivalent of $100/hr.

15. klaxamazoo macrumors 6502

16. EYESPORTS thread starter macrumors member

Hey Klaxamazoo,

Thanks for your reply. Look at my last post. They're fixing it !

17. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
  18. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Nice to know it all worked out for you. I'm glad Apple finally decided to do the right thing.

19. New2Mac5 macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

I found this thread when searching for info about white residue on memory cards and wonder if any one can help.

I brought a MacBook in August and got larger memory installed at the time, the shop gave me the memory that they took out just in case I ever needed it, I remember at the time wondering why there was a white residue on the removed memory cards but didn't think anything of it.

When I tried turning my MacBook on yesterday it started to beep continuously, after some research I found that it was probably a problem with the memory so I planned to swap back to my old memory I am now worried that I have a similar problem with corrosion and the shop I brought it from will probably think that I have spilt liquid on it (No chance, i'm scarily overprotective of my MacBook, my boyfriend has to wash (and dry) his hands before i let him touch it!!) Is there anything else this white residue could be?

My MacBook works fine if I remove one of the memory cards, but I haven't tried putting the old ones back in.

Thanks for any help:confused::confused::confused:

20. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

It's normal. I've found white thermal paste on nearly every memory module I've ever removed from an Apple laptop, and I've removed plenty. If your MacBook boots normally when the offending RAM module is removed, then either the module has failed or it's not properly seated.

You can safely re-install the old modules without fear of damaging the machine.