Macbook problems and questions about warranty

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by imbored, Jan 10, 2008.

1. imbored macrumors member

UPDATE:

My problem has changed significantly since my first post. Tomorrow I will go to the genius bar and hope they can resolve it. In the meantime, I'm searching for some troubleshooting device.

This evening I was browsing macrumors when I saw the get a mac ad featuring Time Machine. I went to the mac site to view it, and as it started loading, the screen of my mac went black. The optical drive then proceeded to continually eject although nothing was in it. I held down the power button and turned it off, and now it won't start up. The white light on the bottom right hand corner turns on, but the screen is black.

The situation is a bit ironic, and I find it rather amusing. I am really frustrated and hope apple will be able to fix or replace my laptop. Is there anything I can try before taking it in to fix it? Thanks.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello, I ordered a MacBook in July from the Apple website and have overall been happy with the system.

However time seems to have taken it's toll on the computer, and a few things are bugging me. I'm wondering what apple will fix and what I will end up needing to pay for (an estimate would be nice as well).

1. The bezel:
    This one is entirely my fault, and I'm not expecting apple to cover it. I was cleaning the edge of my MacBook screen when part of the bezel snapped off. Seeing how easily it happened I took 3/4s of it off expecting to be able to put it back on easily. However the tabs came off with the bezel, and have been very difficult to get back on. I even broke one of the tabs trying to do so. I'm wondering how much this will cost to replace/install.

2. The CD drive:
    It has always seemed like the MacBook CD drive is misaligned, or perhaps it is just too small, and I'm wondering whether this problem is related to my MacBook or all of the models. It became such a problem that one of my CDs wouldn't eject. The MacBook would make the ejection noise and try to eject it, only for it to get stuck and then it would pull it back and reload the contents. I was able to get it out with tweezers and good timing (luckily it was a burnt CD) but I'm wondering whether this is normal and if not can I get it replaced by apple (and for how much if not covered by my warranty)

3. The trackpad button:
    The button has seemed to be getting more and more unresponsive, particularly around the edges. My clicks don't seem to register, and I'm thinking some spring or other part has worn down or broken. I believe I have put my mouse through standard use and it shouldn't be breaking within six months. I'm wondering whether you think apple will replace this.

4. Splintering in the case:
    A little to the right of the trackpad and down at the bottom edge of my MacBook a piece of the case has splintered off (the part that surrounds keyboard and mouse). I don't really know how it happened, it just seemed to come off one day and I remember being frustrated by it. Unfortunately, my computer did fall off of my desk a while back, however it landed on the other side and the splinter did not occur until months later.

I'm not trying to scam apple, but I think that with the exception of the bezel, everything else on my MacBook should still be working perfectly after six months, and it is not. I had a G4 ibook before this that lasted two years before it developed any problems, so I'm hoping that this unit just has a bad case (resulting in CD drive misalignment, trackpad unresponsiveness, splintering, and possibly the bezel coming off easily). I'm hoping apple can replace the entire thing under my warranty, or at least replace everything but the bezel.

I'd appreciate your advice and experience when dealing with the apple store and warranty related issues. Thank you in advance!

2. 66217 Guest

2. It do appears to be a defective CD drive. How often does it happens?

3. I had the same problem, and after 4 times that Apple changed my top case, it worked correctly. Whenever I enter an Apple Store, or see a MB in display, I see that many MB have this problem. I would have thought that they have already fixed this problem by now. Mt MB is a Core Duo BTW.

4. Same happening here, not that is very noticeable, but whenever I clean my MB I notice this.
    When I took the MB to an Apple Store, the guy told it was a small hit it had received, apparently after he checked the MB with a microscope he founded a small hit in my MB.

So yes, I think they'll replace your top case until the trackpad button works and they should also replace the CD drive. Good luck.:)

3. Billy Bob macrumors regular

jklhlh

4. imbored thread starter macrumors member

My problem has changed significantly since my first post. Tomorrow I will go to the genius bar and hope they can resolve it. In the meantime, I'm searching for some troubleshooting device.

This evening I was browsing macrumors when I saw the get a mac ad featuring Time Machine. I went to the mac site to view it, and as it started loading, the screen of my mac went black. The optical drive then proceeded to continually eject although nothing was in it. I held down the power button and turned it off, and now it won't start up. The white light on the bottom right hand corner turns on, but the screen is black.

The situation is a bit ironic, and I find it rather amusing. I am really frustrated and hope apple will be able to fix or replace my laptop. Is there anything I can try before taking it in to fix it? Thanks.

5. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

so what is the update on this?