Macbook problems: keyboard shuts off & corosion on RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Antrieb, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Antrieb macrumors newbie

Just got this macbook about a month ago.

1. When I open it up, sometimes the keyboard won't work. That is, no letters, numbers, or any other keys work. I have to wait usually about 2 minutes and they start working again. Is this normal? Sometimes it's not just when I open the laptop up, it will happen randomly.

2. I upgraded the RAM last week and when I took the old RAM out, there was some white corrosion on the metal contact points. Whats this about? I've never spilled anything on the machine and it hasn't seen a moist environment (except for when it rained and it was in my backpack in a separate pouch).

Help!? Does my machine have problems or is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

2. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

For the keyboard shutting off... did you download the keyboard fix for Leopard? Go to software update and see if it's there. If you already did the update, then theres probably something wrong with the keyboard

3. Antrieb thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, how might I go about doing this?

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The white stuff is not corrosion. It is a lithium grease that Apple uses to lubricate the RAM for easier installation.

5. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

The best thing to do would be to take it to an Apple shop / seller and have someone have a peek.

6. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Click the apple logo at the top left of your desktop, go to software update.. and update everything :)

There should be a keyboard fix there.