Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

K4rolin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
I heard that 90F is too hot, but my macbook goes always like 140F or 160F and fans aren't working as well. And sometimes when fan works it makes such a loud voice.
Another problem is that sometimes my screen just randomly goes dark. to make it better again I have to use F1 key to make it to the lowest level (like the screen is) and then again F2 to lighter, but usually it just goes dark again.

And today my battery level was 48% and suddenly macbook went to sleep mode and I had to plug in charger, when it woke up the battery was 0%. what may cause these problems and how to solve it? plus my macbook guarantee is over too :/

Please help

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I heard that 90F is too hot
It's not. That's quite normal.
IAnd sometimes when fan works it makes such a loud voice.
Fans will be louder when they spin faster.
Another problem is that sometimes my screen just randomly goes dark. to make it better again I have to use F1 key to make it to the lowest level (like the screen is) and then again F2 to lighter, but usually it just goes dark again.
Check your display sleep settings in System Preferences > Energy Saver > Sleep
And today my battery level was 48% and suddenly macbook went to sleep mode and I had to plug in charger, when it woke up the battery was 0%.
You should calibrate your battery (instructions in the following link)
This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

K4rolin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
(sorry I couldn't quote Your post)

Your quote 2:
normal computer fans don't make noise. so, 3000 to 5000 is normal?

Your quote 3:
noooo, it doesn't go to sleep mode. It randomly goes to the darkest screen mode while I am using computer.

Quote nr 4:
yeah, but when I did it before then after it didn't warn me about low battery anymore.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
(sorry I couldn't quote Your post)
Just click the
quote.gif
button.
normal computer fans don't make noise. so, 3000 to 5000 is normal?
Yes, they do. Yes, depending on the workload and temps, 3000 to 6000 is normal.
noooo, it doesn't go to sleep mode. It randomly goes to the darkest screen mode while I am using computer.
I'm not talking about your computer going to sleep, but the display.
yeah, but when I did it before then after it didn't warn me about low battery anymore.
Calibrating has nothing to do with your low battery warning. It simply makes your battery reporting more accurate. You'll understand a lot better if you read the link I posted.

K4rolin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
ok, if it is no problem then it's good. but I forgot to write about the most annoying problem. When I watch videos on youtube or play video games, computer just shuts down randomly. It happens when I use ''bigger'' applications like photoshop, games, watch movies and even when I use photobooth plus internet activities. What may cause this problem?

Repo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009

Check your energy preferences: System Preferences > Energy Saver.

There's a check box to "Automatically reduce brightness before display goes to sleep." If you don't use your computer for a while before it's set to sleep, it will send the brightness to the darkest setting right before it does go to sleep.

ok, if it is no problem then it's good. but I forgot to write about the most annoying problem. When I watch videos on youtube or play video games, computer just shuts down randomly. It happens when I use ''bigger'' applications like photoshop, games, watch movies and even when I use photobooth plus internet activities. What may cause this problem?

Based on your previous posts, I'd recommend checking your Activity Monitor and make sure there isn't a process taking over your CPU that you're unaware of. Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor. Click on the "CPU%" tab to see the most demanding processes.

Also, if your fans are running 3000 to 5000 constantly (they should idle around 2000), either your CPU (and/or GPU) is under a lot of stress, or you have an overheating problem.

K4rolin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
when my computer shutdowns happen almost all the CPU goes under the ''user'', so anything wrong?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.