MacBook problems

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by toronado455, Oct 14, 2012.

1. toronado455 macrumors regular

toronado455

A family member has an old Intel Core2Duo MacBook running OSX 10.4.11 which is having many of the issues discussed here in these forums. Screen blacking out, noisy fans spinning up, small (.25") crack at edge of wrist rest, sometimes unresponsive trackpad button and/or random mouse clicks and pointer motions occurring - even when just applying pressure to the wrist rest area, etc.

I don't have the computer here, but...

1. Is it possible to go into the settings and completely disable the built-in trackpad including the trackpad button? (I'm thinking of this as a possible band-aid solution to the random electrical signals and just using an external mouse)

2. Is there any browser that will support full flash compatibility and no "you are using an outdated browser" messages from GMail, etc, that will run on an Intel MacBook running OSX 10.4.11 ?

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

About the second option... My Dad's MacBook Pro is running 10.4 and Flash works perfectly fine for everything via Safari (I don't think he's even using the latest version). However if Flash isn't working for you on 10.4 for whatever reason, have you considered upgrading the computer to Snow Leopard? If it's a Core2Duo it should be able to handle it alright :)

3. toronado455 thread starter macrumors regular

toronado455

Thanks. I'll give Safari a try. I don't know what version of Safari they stopped updating at with 10.4.11 but I'll give it a try.

Assuming it would be worth it (given all the hardware issues on this machine I think not) how would one even obtain a user licence for Snow Leopard?

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

You can buy Snow Leopard copies on eBay, they are about $70. That is, if you're willing to drop $70 on a pretty old computer...