Macbook processors

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alehen, Jun 12, 2012.

1. alehen macrumors member

I want to buy a macook pro with retina display, and 256GB is good enough for me, but My main concern is the processor.

Is there much of a difference in performançe btw the Core i 7 2.3GHz and 2.6GHz?

2. Aksta macrumors regular

3. cathyy macrumors 6502a

[/COLOR]
    If you need to ask this question then the answer is no, you won't notice any difference.

CPUs are so powerful today that almost no program requires you to max out your CPU usage. Light programs like surfing the net, Microsoft Office and Skype barely even use up 1% of the CPU's processing power 99% of the time.

The only time when you would notice a difference is when you do stuff that requires heavy CPU processing, and this would mainly be for people who are in the video editing industry or in the 3D industry where lots of encoding and rendering is required. Perhaps a video encoding may take 10 minutes on the 2.3GHz processor while it takes 8 minutes 45 seconds on the 2.6GHz processor.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Very few users would notice any performance difference between those two processors under normal workloads.

5. alehen, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

alehen thread starter macrumors member

I use an iMac and I want to get a macbook pro to replace it. What I don't know is how an iMac processor compares to a macbook processor.

basically: photoshop, maya, unity and final cut x. I also plan on running windows on paralell desktops

6. cathyy macrumors 6502a

In photoshop there won't be any notable difference. In Maya, rendering times will be about 15% quicker on the 2.6GHz model. No idea what unity is. For Final Cut X, video encoding time will also be quicker on the 2.6GHz model.

Parallels relies more on RAM rather than on CPU processing power so there won't be any notable difference for that.

Maybe could you list down the specs of your previous iMac? That way we can tell you how the new MBP compares up to it. Generally, laptop processors today are more powerful than desktop processors 2 years ago.

7. alehen thread starter macrumors member

I don't use maya to render anything.. I use Unity and UDK for real time rendering.

Mu currenty Macbook Pro is a Core 2 Duo 2.53Mhz, 8GB and Radeon 9400m. It is outdated and not good to use for things other than Xcode and Photoshop.

The iMac is a Core i5 Quad 3.1GHz, 4GB and Radeon 6970. It is very good and fast for everything I need, the only problem is I can't carry around.