Macbook Production, Build Cycles?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 8theapple, Oct 23, 2008.

1. 8theapple macrumors regular

Sorry in advance. I am new to Mac, and looking to make the switch to the new Macbook soon. I've been a Windows user all my life and looking to change it up.

I was just wondering if anyone knows what Apple's manufacturing process is with respect to timelines and progression.

For example, if there is a flaw in an automobile, as production occurs over time the flaw is addressed. Usually cars produced later on in the year have some of these problems fixed. This happens alot with first generation products.

With all the issues now being discovered with the new macbook, how long do you think it will take Apple to address these and integrate "fixes" into their manufacturing process?

Which build week would be a good time to purchase (and how do you find the build week again)? I know that might not be a fair question to ask since computers are bought on a necessity basis for school, work etc. I'm trying to find the balance between when I should buy the notebook and necessity (aka I want a relatively perfect product).

I am looking to purchase in the next coming months in preparation for next semester as my current laptop is slow I can't even watch Youtube and work on projects. I might even wait until after MacWorld 2009.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I don't know what the problems are which you refer to because my MacBook is perfect. As for fixing things, Apple does do that during product cycles.

3. mathieuheartmac macrumors member

I think the poster is talking about the problems that a lot of people on this forum have experienced. There are many threads about the issues the new macbook has right now.

You got lucky and got a perfect one.:)

4. mathieuheartmac macrumors member

But, try this:
    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook

Unless you want to wait another 6 months, maybe you should just get one now? Not everyone has experienced the small problems that have come up with the new macbooks. I think it is just part of getting a new rev.

5. DeuxIt macrumors member

the same thought was going through my head. i was going to wait till i had the cash and order from applestore.com as i believe they come straight from china, at least if you order a built to order machine. thusly the built to order machines would in theory be the freshest meat.

does anyone know if all the computers ordered from the online store are drop shipped from china or just the custom ones? what is the least expensive mod that would trigger the china shipment? extra ram?

6. 8theapple thread starter macrumors regular

That's a good point BTO machines theoretically are the freshest meat and require more time for shipping. But there are different return policies for BTO machines so you have to consider that as well. So if you buy a BTO machine and it comes with a screen with dead pixels then....