Macbook Pros and Gaming - Video Card Related

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hazyb71, Mar 13, 2010.

  1. Hazyb71 macrumors member

    Mar 13, 2010
    Hello fellow Mac users!

    I've been a long time reader of these forums and I finally decided to make a post since I'm about to make the switch (I'm buying both an iMac and a MBP!)

    My question in particular was about the MBP. I've done a lot of reading and for quite some time I knew I was going to get the base version 15" MBP. I wasn't planning on gaming at all, so the lack of a dedicated graphics card was a non issue.

    But... I recently saw Starcraft II and found that it will be releasing sometime this summer, and I was just wondering if the 9400m can handle games like that on medium without lagging? Should I bump up to the 256 or the 512 over this? I know this will be hard to answer because the game hasn't even been released. If you could help that would be great. If you can't thanks anyways.

    Can't wait to switch! :apple: :)
  2. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

    Jul 30, 2009
    No. Get the dedicated card.

    I would give you exact numbers on how SC2 is on the 9400m but they haven't released a OS X client in beta yet, if they even plan to.
  3. Hazyb71 thread starter macrumors member

    Mar 13, 2010
    I thought I might have to. Do you recommend the 256 or the 512?
  4. cathyy macrumors 6502a

    Apr 12, 2008
    Well I've triedp laying Starcraft 2 on my 8600M GT. Medium runs fine. High lags quite a bit though. Seeing how the 9400M only has about half the power of a 8600M GT, medium might lag for the 9400M too. It'd be playable but not very smooth.
  5. Patriks7 macrumors 65816


    Oct 26, 2008
    256 should be enough for most games. At least I haven't run into any problems with mine yet, and I've tried A LOT of games.
  6. seepel macrumors 6502


    Dec 22, 2009
    My 512 struggles through Assassin's Creed II :(
  7. GeekOFComedy macrumors 6502a

    Sep 29, 2008
    You can bump the 9400M to 512MB? Guide please! :eek:
  8. mike.coulter macrumors regular


    Jun 10, 2008
    No... I think you can order a better version of the 9400m... Not overclock. Although, if I'm wrong a guide would be lovely.
  9. Funkatronic macrumors 6502


    Jan 5, 2010
    Pune, India
    Any one of you guys have played any Source Engine based game via BootCamp on a 9400M?

    I gave up on my TF2 addiction when i sold my i7 rig, and now that i hear Steam's coming to OSX, im a bit worried my 13' MBP wont be able to handle TF2 at Low/Med.

    Any inputs on that?
  10. cluthz macrumors 68040


    Jun 15, 2004
    If you are buying an iMac too, would you game regularly on the MacbookPro or just occasionally if you wanna do head to head gaming with a friend on visit?

    Also, buying a MacbookPro now would be bad timing, this generation is overdue. They are indeed nice computers, but new ones will probably be introduced soonish (I know, we've said that since xmas..)...
  11. gwsat macrumors 68000


    Apr 12, 2008
    And we might not see the new MBP models until NEXT Christmas. Sorry, didn't mean to sound cynical but it just slipped out.:)
  12. iLog.Genius macrumors 601


    Feb 24, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario
    All 9400M GPU's in the MacBook Pro's are all 256MB with only the 9600M GT having two different options (256MB and 512MB). As for Starcraft, tried the beta in Windows with all settings high. For the most part, very playable but isn't the smoothest. I doubt getting the 512MB 9600M GT is going to help that.
  13. Hazyb71 thread starter macrumors member

    Mar 13, 2010
    I'm planning on playing on my iMac because of the amazing screen, but my friends are all going to get it and we want to be able to meet up and play. So I'm hoping the MBP will be able to handle it - I'm not to crazy about having insane graphics, but just playability that doesn't hinder gameplay.

    Also, about the MBP refresh, I've been waiting patiently since October for this refresh. Thanks for the heads up. I'm going nuts waiting though :D it should be any month now. My assumption since October was that it will come out at the end of March. Now with the iPads being delayed I think I might have to wait until late April or even May. For sure by June it'll be out though.
  14. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

    Ice Dragon

    Jun 16, 2009
    Perhaps wait for a refresh of the MBP before buying, as I see it. I agree that the 9600GT at 512MB probably won't help.

    The iMac on the other hand should do very well.

Share This Page