Macbook Pro's battery is draining fast!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chrisedmonds, May 1, 2012.

1. chrisedmonds macrumors newbie

I could really use some help! I have a early 2011 Macbook Pro 15" and i recently installed Windows 8 using boot camp. I did notice that the battery was draining much faster and the fans constantly ran and heat build up was a problem. But thats understandable while I use boot camp, the problem lies that when I boot back into OSX I still have the same issue OSX is much slower and the fans run constantly along with more heat. This is happening when there is no major programs or processes running either! I used to get the normal 6-8 hours of battery before i installed windows 8. But now I get around 2 hours in OSX :confused:

So I checked if there were any run away processes running, and i didn't see anything and it did not seem to be running both OS at the same time. And I shut down and booted from scratch. Does anyone maybe know whats going on with it or has had this happen to them before? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

Also interesting to note that if i just let it boot by itself it will boot into windows and not OSX is there a way to disable this or could this be a link to my problems?

2. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

You can change the startup disk in system preferences or the boot camp utility (while in Windows).

Not sure about the heat/fans/battery issue - having Win 8 installed shouldn't cause this.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.

If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try try resetting the SMC.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

4. chrisedmonds thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks i have changed it and it boots into OSX fine. But now the main issue about the battery drain and heat...What is confusing is that my fans almost never came on and nearly everything ran great and smooth. But i installed windows and not iam getting this issue.

Also of note iam not bashing windows or anything. I just want to use steam and some what play games on it ok. :p

----------

Ok will try this when i get home from work so i will tell you how it went, but it will be awhile before i get to try it. thanks guys for the help.

5. WardC, May 1, 2012
    Last edited: May 1, 2012

WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

It's draining...did the battery acid go all over your desk? That stuff can burn you!

Edit: OK, on a serious note -- did you check to make sure you aren't using your discrete/dedicated graphics card, which can drain your battery at a much faster rate? I believe this can be changed in the System Preferences. The Intel Graphics should be used whenever possible to conserve battery, this could be your fan issue as well, as the ATI Radeon will create heat and cause your fans to ramp up, especially when running Flash video or playing 3D games, etc. Flash can be a big culprit for battery and heat. YouTube uses Flash, so running YouTube videos can easily suck down battery power on your MacBook Pro and create heat/fan issues.

6. chrisedmonds thread starter macrumors newbie

Well first off, let me say iam sorry for the late response. As I have recently lost my job and have been out of town for a while. BUT the good news is that the battery problem literally has fixed it self! So now i dont have to worry about that. I did look at all the info you guys posted and i have learned some more about what was going on, so thanks. But I may be running into so windows 8 issues with the boot camp but thats another story and i believe i know what needs to be done. But just didn't want to seem like a jerk by not responding back to your help. Thanks guys.