Macbook Pro's case severely dented.. need help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by luciole, Feb 24, 2008.

1. luciole macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Just a few moments ago I noticed this on the right side of my Macbook Pro. I honestly have no idea how it happened, I have never dropped or knocked my computer around. But go figure, this thing turned up suddenly.

Thankfully, everything still works fine. As for the ports, the DVI, Ethernet and USB works, and I have never used the two firewire ports.

Do you think I can get this repaired.. and if so, will it be very expensive and take a long time? I'm an art student and depend on my computer for survival.
    I bought this at Aug 07 and I think it is still under limited warranty.. but something tells me that that will not cover this mishap.

On to the horrorshow:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is what it looks like when closed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Help is very appreciated!

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Sorry, but that was dropped. It won't be covered under warranty. It might be pretty expensive to get fixed. You say it's been working fine?

3. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Yeh, you can get it repaired (although the logic board MAY be damaged, but if it's still working fine then that's very unlikely).

I seem to remember the bottom case costs about £60. You'll also need to get the ports replaced (I can't remember how much these are). The labour will be the expensive part...

4. luciole thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm. I could swear I never dropped this thing. But perhaps it was dented here and there without my knowledge, or something. Oh well.
    It works fine and great. I am typing this now on the same computer, and playing music, and (of course) backing up my files. It is as if nothing happened, thats why I did not realize till just now.

60pounds? Holy crap. I hope labour will not come up to that much? All the shops are closed today so I can't get a quote, but at least now I know what to expect. I hope I don't have to replace the firewire ports, I never use them.

5. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

is there anyone who had contact with your computer who could have dropped it? I have a friend who went on vaca and when he came back, he had a dent like hat although his kids swore up and down they were nowhere near his computer...

6. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Unfortunately there is NO way that it was not dropped or hit with something, it takes a lot of force to do that kind of damage.

From my experience Apple will not cover this kind of repair. The bottom case will run you at least $100, probably $150, labor will range around $100-$150 depending on who you work with. You also might need a new top case. A new top case will run you around $100-$150.

Good luck, you might to talk to some people in case they hit your machine.

7. luciole thread starter macrumors newbie

This computer was with me all day yesterday and today and it closed fine, but I think the dent happened this morning which I swear I didn't drop it. However, I did notice that at one point, the fan was running very quickly and loudly. I didn't look though as I was half asleep then. However, that could be a far stretch from what happened. I honestly have no idea how this happened.

Anyway, the milk has spilled, and now I just hope the repair will not be too much.

8. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Yes AppleCare will most likely not cover this sort of damage. You could purchase the bottom case on your own and replace it yourself.

9. luciole thread starter macrumors newbie

It turns out that the local Apple service shop is quoting me a total of US$450-500 to fix this thing, the reason why is because they have to remove the entire bottom part and that is a big job?

Since the computer is working fine, I wonder if it is okay if I just leave it this way, I don't really mind the dent (in comparison to a burning hole in my pocket, this dent looks pretty actually), but will it affect the computer if I just leave it?

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

11. luciole thread starter macrumors newbie

Augh! But does that need $450?? That is alot of money to a college student.

The computer is fine, but as you can see from the pictures, it does not close properly. Also, I am not sure if by not fixing it, I am making it worse.

I am going to ask the other remaining shop what their price quote is, and then make a decision. I hope it will be less than $450!

12. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Taking apart the bottom case is a massive bitch, its basically everything that has to come out. Labor for something like that will take at least 1 to 2 hours.
    Good luck with it, I do not advise doing this yourself.

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

$450 = parts + labor

iFixIt.com sells the part for $250.00

I guess if you couldn't swing the other $200 in labor, you could follow the instructions that I linked to above. Professional computer labor isn't cheap. :(