Macbook Pros Crippled With Ssd?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbrent89, Jul 6, 2009.

1. jbrent89 macrumors member

the new ones?

I was planning on getting a macbook NEXT fall, not this one, but I was thinking about just getting the new macbook pros, the screen is bigger, and I get the mileage on the gfx card, as well as Graphic Design if I get interested in.. ( i could see this happening)

I heard that the BUS or watever it is is being reduced tho, exponentially minimizing SSD effectiveness?

Wat do u think about my buying choice? I hate to wait, i could use 4 school if I move and dont take the imac.... use for the Community College i go to until next fall

2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    I thought a Firmware update already took care of this?

3. jbrent89 thread starter macrumors member

are these the intelligent reasons? Also DIABLO 3 when it coms out hehe,, I did get a ps3 and i have a nice tv so i dont need the horsepower now..

although I dont see relying on integrated graphics as the 100% best idea, im a max gfx person... even for d3 and sc2

I would do graphic edititing probably, but not anyhting serious like Bryce etc

Also reading the grafix charts, they make the integrated seem only 50% or so under the 'discrete' gfx card... how big is this bonus?

I really just dont feel like waiting 2 years to get another laptop, or use some crappo temp, i want a mac lol...

4. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

If you aren't planning to buy a macbook till late 2010, look again then, there will be at lest one revision, probably two in that time.

but to answer your questions.
    when the current mbp's were released they had sata II hardware but were only running at sata I speed (1.5gbs) a firmware update has fixed this and they now run at 3.0gps- full sata II.

The integrated is great for all 2D stuff, but if you want 3d get the model with a discrete graphics card. example, on Red Alert 3 with the default settings, using the 9600 on my 2.6ghz 15" MBP it flies along, the same settings using the 9400M and it really struggles and slows down to the point where it's basically unplayable. Change the settings to lowest on the 9400m and it runs well again.

5. åidån Guest

New Zealand
    Huh? English would be nice! Your question was answered though, the current gen MBP no longer cripples an SSD's performance.

The same thing is answered here countless times daily. If you want it, buy it. If you keep waiting for the next gen, well, keep waiting…

6. jbrent89 thread starter macrumors member

I think i may just get it a year early.. still good for school.

I was debating about the xtra lb/cost, but i think having a GFX card is good 4 me since i love playin video games, even tho I have a ps3 at the house..

buy now? or wait till september?

buyers guide says just updated, guess im gonna get a free next gen itouch.. i shuld just sell since im getting iphone this christmas

7. auero macrumors 65816

They were just revised last month. I say buy.

You can never have the latest technology. Buy if you need :)

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It's an iPod Touch...Raises the better question, would the Buyer's Guide ever lie to you.

9. jbrent89 thread starter macrumors member

uh oh didnt mean to doubt the buyers guide lol

Im debating about SSD,..

what are the pros/cons?

10. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

If you're really into games, perhaps reconsider getting a Mac. You can get Windows laptops for less money with more powerful graphics cards in them, and you'll be running boot camp for nearly all games anyways.

Also, don't buy a computer based on speculation that you "think you might like to get into graphic design in the future". That's a pretty poor choice too.

Ruahrc

11. z-hayden macrumors newbie

isn't it a no no around here to correct people about the whole Ipod touch itouch debacle (although i agree with you)

12. Some Guy 555 macrumors regular

Pros
    1. Performance. The difference between a normal Hard disk drive and a good solid state drive is like the difference between an original 10 year old pentium 4 1.5ghz computer with 64mb ram and todays mac pro 8 core. No joke.
    2. Reliability. These don't break as often (if at all) as compared to hard disk drives.
    3. The list is endless.

Cons
    1. Price.
    2. Some cheap SSD's can stop working if they are written to alot. Although one would have to be writing to the SSD thousands and thousands of times a day to achieve that.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Don't look at Macs if you're looking to a gaming machine; if anything you'll be either paying twice as much as the Windows person for the same components.

For some people English may not be their first language; don't be insolent.

14. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

I will not pass judgement one way or another in this case, but in most cases it is pretty easy to tell if the poster is native english or no. IMHO, both from personal experience and from seeing others, most of the "speak english" replies here are there basically tlling ppl nt 2 speek liek thees. While it can take some getting used to, I think most people here can accept the fact that a post might not make perfect sense because certain things are lost in translation. However, as I said, a lot of the comments that some attack as "insolent" are more there just telling the poster to slow the heck down, type out the full words, and use spell check so that they don't sound like some 12 year old spaztoid...