Macbook Pro's DVI port sparking

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Knolly, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Knolly macrumors 6502a

Hey there... I always use my MBP with an external monitor when at my desk and when I just tried to plug it in I noticed that it very noticably sparks as it plugs in... My question is:
    1. Is this normal?
    2. Is this bad?
    3. Am I totally about to be at fault for burning down my dorm?

2. tngisaga macrumors member

I don't think it's supposed to be that way, but I'm not sure since I don't use an external monitor. Perhaps it was just a one time thing, but if it keeps happening, I suggest you take it to the Apple Store. If there's anything wrong with it and your computer is still under warranty, they will fix it free of charge. No harm in letting them take a look then risk burning down your dorm.

3. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Let me guess, you don't bother turning off your computer when attaching the external monitor?

It's quite normal, I have observed it quite a few times.

4. Knolly thread starter macrumors 6502a

@Pressure
    Correct, thanks, glad to hear I'm not alone, ha.

5. martindk macrumors newbie

This phenomenon happened to my 1-month old MBP this morning as I was fumbling to connect a DVI cable - and it killed the laptop completely. It generated a fairly impressive spark complete with smoke and the smell of ozone. The machine wasn't even turned on at the time. It is now in for repair. The technician said he had not heard of this happening.

6. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

I haven't had this happen when using an external. I don't turn my MBP off, but I do make sure the monitor is powered down.

7. Thi macrumors member

No problems here, I plug and unplug mine with both devices on all the time. Could it be a cause of static electricity. I know my mbp would spark due to static electricity sometimes when I touch it.

8. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

is the monitor the dvi cable runs to GROUNDED?

are you using the three prong apple adapter?

if either of these is NO, thats your issue probably. No issues here, ON OFF, whatever, nothing bad. NO SPARKS.

9. vniow macrumors G4

No.

Yes.

Yes.

Could be static, are you on a surface which is known for the sparky sparky?

10. martindk macrumors newbie

No, everything is properly grounded and I have not noticed excessive static electricity around the office. The spark was sufficient to create a small charred area on the DVI connector shell. I also don't have a history of killing my laptops. This is a first.

11. Bradleybell1 macrumors newbie

Hi guys, wondering whether anyone has had any problems following the sparks?
    I just noticed tiny blue sparks when i connect my screen via DVI but only when it is powered. It also makes a static sound through my speakers.

Advice?

12. Freyqq macrumors 68040

makes no sense b\c dvi doesn't carry any power as far as i know

13. mbpnewbie macrumors regular

So can anyone explain to me why my uniody's usb ports spark?