MacBook Pro's Express Card Slot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gwihannom, Nov 30, 2008.

1. gwihannom macrumors member

With the new design, many ports and features were eliminated/changed. (i.e. No FireWire port on the MacBook, Display Ports changed to Mini, etc.)

But weird things is... what do you use for express card slot?

It must be necessary with something, because Apple eliminated a modem port but left this thing on there.
    (Not that the two are relevant, just curious why they didn't just eliminate a function people rarely use. Or am I the only one that don't know what it is =P)

Well, it's not just Apple that has an express card slot,
    Now I realize that most of the notebooks I have seen and used DO come with express card slot of some sort. (I think, right?)
    I don't know why I didn't bother to wonder what an express card was or even cared to use one.

What is it? And what are some ideas that I could use it for?

2. Azagar macrumors member

Azagar

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Yea, the express slot is widely used for flash drives. ^

4. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

I keep a card reader for SD/Memory Stick in there perpetually. But there are tons of devices -- FW, USB, eSATA, SSD, modems of various sorts I think.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I use mine for:
    1) eSATA ports
    2) UDMA CF adapter
    3) 8-in-1 card reader
    4) AT&T 3G modem
    5) FW800/400 ports
    6) USB 2.0 ports

Would have been nice to have slot on the MacBook to add FW considering.

6. gwihannom thread starter macrumors member

Huh. You guys are right. I never thought about using it for these purposes. I guess I always thought they were only available through USB, since that's how I've been using it for the equipments you all listed.

But, yeah, it definitely makes sense to use it for things like a memory card reader. I've always connected my digital camera through an USB cable that came with it. Simply taking it out and plugging it through a card that goes into an express card slot makes good sense. Never thought about that.

That's good. I'll look into this.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Also if you have a memory card that supports UDMA, the transfer over PCI-Express is a lot faster than USB.

8. RKpro macrumors 6502

I've got an Belkin SD card reader in mine. $34 from Apple store.

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

also can be used for:

[​IMG]
    1SegTV - (req 1Seg Broadcasting)

[​IMG]
    Magma 7-Slot EX34 to PCIe 4U Expansion Chassis, or take the 6 slot version, so you can make your MBP run DigiDesignPro with all it's hardware... Not CHEAP!

10. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I have a griffin card reader, which seats perfectly in my new MBP. In my last gen MBP, it stuck out a little.

11. Azagar macrumors member

Azagar

So is that kernel panic caused by that Maggma product? Don't think I would look into it then.

12. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Heh, I remember looking into a PCMCIA card solution for high quality digital audio output when I had a PowerBook Pismo. The Mac peripheral market sure has changed since even then.

13. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

I want a single e-sata port expresscard/34 card that doesn't stick out and bulge and be all gross... unfortunately i probably wont' find one because esata requires a bit more hardware than the inside portion of an expresscard/34 port has room for

14. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

Oh, that is pretty funny!

15. Azagar macrumors member

Azagar

Could be the infamous kernel panic screen saver, doubt it but poster hasn't responded so don't wanna make judgment just yet. Was pretty funny though to promote a product and see what it did to their MacBook. ;)

16. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

No idea.... I don't use it, just something I was researching about. Cause the OP asked what goes in the ExpressCard Slot.

17. ivinho macrumors member

18. SnapperNZ macrumors newbie

Not as RAM using Mac OS X, no.

Possibly if you had Vista running on the Mac, using VMWare/Parallels of bootcamp - you might then be able to use the expresscard memory as memory in Windows, as Vista of course has that capability.

Realistically though, a Macbook Pro supports 4GB of memory and I can't see why you'd need more than that on a mobile computer. If you do need more than that, you need a workstation and not a laptop.