Macbook Pro's Trackpad Getting Old

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by w00t951, Aug 9, 2010.

1. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

My Macbook (See sig for model, running OS X 10.6.4) is starting to have problems with keeping track of my touches. While I'm dragging something with one finger pressed down (physically clicking the trackpad) the computer keeps losing my touch. It stops dragging but the mouse continues to move. I don't have AppleCare, and the computer is obviously out of warranty. Is there something I can do without going to the retail store to fix this issue? I regularly work with dragging text and highlighting things in Pages, and this trackpad problem has really been getting to me. Thanks.

2. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

I would start by checking to see if maybe the connector on the logic board has worked it's way loose. If your trackpad is in fact going bad, you could always replace your upper case. This part comes with the trackpad in it; I don't know if it is possible to get the trackpad by itself.

Something like this, be sure to buy the correct component for your model: www.ifixit.com Unless it's unibody, in which case it would be this.

The upper case isn't really all that hard to replace, if you're technically savvy and have a bit of time to devote to it.

3. kolax macrumors G3

Did you start to notice this after the Trackpad Update a couple of weeks ago? It's pretty buggy.. I've noticed a few glitches with it.

4. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

This could be a possible point...see if there are any updates that you need/can install to fix it.

5. mechazirra macrumors newbie

Did you find any updates that you can install to fix it? My wife is having a similar problem to this on her macbook where its not always registering the second finger when using two fingers to swipe on her macbook. She said it only started recently, but she doesn't know if its after the recent trackpad update.