Macbook Pro's USB problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BrenMyster, May 30, 2008.

1. BrenMyster macrumors member

I have a new macbook pro, knowing there are only 2 usb post i got a hub from belkin,

problem is that it keeps crashing the ports, the hub will just shut off and make all my usb ports not usable until i reboot my MBP.

I only have a mouse, ipod and external portable hard-drive plugged it to it.

Is there any way to reset the usb port without restarting my mac?

I need more USB ports be if hubs crash my mac then it pretty much sucks.

2. HastaLaVista macrumors member

Which USB port do you have your Belkin plugged into?

Mine is on the right side. For some odd reason, I got very slow performance on the left.

Also, I can't seem to get my iPod recognized if I plug it into the Belkin hub, I have to plug it directly into the left port on the MBP.

I have a Logitech wireless mouse, Card Reader (7 in one), Epson Printer/Scanner, Apple Keyboard, and one other thing (I can't seem to remember where this cord goes) with no problems in this config.

3. BrenMyster thread starter macrumors member

I actually have it plugged in to the left right now, but when the thing crashes the kills both USB ports, So i have tried the right.

AWWW this sucks,

I think this hub just sucks, I have the tunesync where you can dock you ipod,pretty sweet idea, if the dam thing worked.

I'm going to get another hub and see where that leaves me, there must be hub that works out there, i need about 5 usb ports for all my stuff.

4. KC2 macrumors regular

Is your hub a powered hub? i.e. Do you plug the hub into a separate A/C slot so it's not just run by the computer? That may have something to do with it - not sure.

I have a D-Link 7 Port hub (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=149), and it's served me well so far - plugged into the left-side port BTW. I have plugged into it: iPod, HP DeskJet 5550 printer, Dell 2001FP monitor (for use of the 2 USB slots on the side of my monitor), Logitech MX3100 wireless keyboard/mouse combo. All those with no problems. (If most of those sound Windows-related, it's b/c I'm a recent switcher :))

I occasionally have to unplug and replug the printer's USB to get it printing again, but I think that's a result of the old printer, and not USB problems.

5. DjFever macrumors newbie

DjFever

I have the Nexxtech 7 port powered hub, works great with my mbp, was only about $25 @ radioshack.

Cheers
    John

6. BrenMyster thread starter macrumors member

Yeah my hub is powered,

Not sure now it could be windows related since I'm running OSx ;)

I think its a problem with this hub, I'm going to take it back tonight and try another one.

If that does not solve the problem I'm giving apple a call.

I always trusted Belkin products but this has kinda made be doubt them, I just like the way they look, pretty stream lined, Look a bit more stylish on my desk with my MBP rather that a black box with cables shooting from it. If it don't work then style is the least of my problems.

7. KC2 macrumors regular

Sorry, left out the word products up there :) I meant to say if a lot of the products sound Windows-y, it's because I recently switched.

From what you're saying though, it does sound like it's the hub, since you have such few and basic things plugged into the hub.

Keep us posted on the problem (and hopefully solution)!

8. BrenMyster thread starter macrumors member

Cheers

From what i can tell so far the Belkin Tune Sync is not being made anymore and for a product which a hub and ipod dock at the same time, sounds really useful, has obviously been trashed for a reason.

I'm just going to go trade it in for the new 7 port Belkin,

9. DjFever macrumors newbie

DjFever

10. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

I have had two bad Belkin USB hubs in the past that caused all USB ports on the computer to stop working. One of them even caused kernel panics. You should check reviews for your hub (newegg.com or elsewhere) as it's likely the cause. Belkin hubs have are rather unreliable from my own experience and the reviews I've read.

11. BrenMyster thread starter macrumors member

12. johnhollister macrumors newbie

Are you using your MX3100 with your MacBook Pro? If so, are there any compatibility issues? I just purchased a MacBook and I was hoping to be able to use my old MX3100, from my PC setup, with the mac. Thanks - John

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

never experienced any problems here on my older style MBP, i have a el cheapo traffic light USB hub with a printer/scanner, mouse and quite often i have my ipod plugged into it. its not powered

14. KC2 macrumors regular

Yep, the MX3100 is hooked up to the MBP via a D-Link powered USB hub. As far as compatibility goes, almost everything works great, but a number of the quick launch buttons up top don't do anything - Digital media library, My Documnets, E-Mail, Messenger, Status, Webcam - none of those do anything for me. Fortunately, the silver audio buttons all still work. The other thing is that F3 alone will not pull up Expose, and F4 won't pull up dashboard, but I'm pretty sure F7-F12 do all those functions (something about no Fn key on the MX3100, I'm guessing)

All in all, I'm happy I've stuck with the MX3100. The thing that takes some getting used to is using Windows key-Q to quit apps. Also, I'm a big fan of the 9-key, something not found on any Apple/OEM wireless keyboard, so I'm sticking with the Logitech for now.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any more questions!

15. HastaLaVista macrumors member

FYI on my Belkin.

I have been talking with a fellow MBP owner at work (actually she got me into this!) and we both have (had for her) the same Belkin 6 port USB and have had problems relating to the hub.

For me, if I have problems starting up (grey screen Apple, no Apple, no OS) I have to unplug the hub & restart, get to OS-X & then plug the hub in.

I never had USB problems like this in all my Windows years, however, I never had an external USB hub either.

At least I know what the problem is when my MBP fails to boot.

16. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Have you tried using the hub without power connected to it? Don't try to charge your iPod that way (the hub is limited to 500ma total without external power, 500ma per port with it), but if it works, you know the power supply for the hub is probably bad.

You may want to contact Belkin and see if they will replace the hub for you anyways.

17. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

18. HastaLaVista macrumors member

Whoops, I meant 7 port hub (missed one).

And, I got the "Trouble waking from sleep" problem this morning, beach ball at the login dialog, dead usb mouse/keyboard. Unplugging the hub allowed me to login via the MBP keyboard. Once logged back in, plugging the hub in restored USBness to the hub.

I bought my hub from NewEgg, the packaging is long gone. I doubt I could return it now.

19. steeler macrumors regular

I have the same hub. Got a pretty good deal on it from Amazon - $25 or so. It works great for me too.

20. DamienM3 macrumors newbie

Old thread I know sorry...

I do not think it is the hubs fault! I have 2 of the DLink 7 port hubs and both have problems with my Core2 MBP! Using bootcamp the issues do not exist! So it is either a combination of hardware and/or OSX. I have been all over the forums looking for a solution. Everytime I plug in my hub either before boot or worse off after boot my apple keyboard is never detected. Even worse at my office setup using the same 7 port hub the scanner I use all day will always crash and lock my scanning app! I have to force quit and then power cycle the scanner.

Has anyone found a solution? I do use all 7 ports normally just three. It is also powered.

21. MBPDiva macrumors regular

I've had problems with Belkin products in the past. Also, on my MBP, the left USB is shared with other internal hardware like the camera, keyboard and trackpad. So when you plug a hub into it, you're competing with the other internals for that one port. So I plug my USB hub into the right USB and I use the left USB port for my 2G flash drive. Hope that helps. :)

22. DamienM3 macrumors newbie

To be so lucky I have the same problems on both sides. My right port never detects the keyboard and the left will always crash with the scanner...

23. MBPDiva macrumors regular

I'm not sure why the right port doesn't detect your keyboard. I plug my small flash storage device or a mouse into the left USB port. The left port on MBPs functions as an internal hub and already has other internal devices plugged into it. I use my right port for my USB hub or my external drive.

24. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

I may have some insight into this -- I have tested several generations of older MBPs, and they all used to exhibit a problem in which the right side port would power a USB hard drive (or another high powered USB device) just fine, where the left port would not. I switched logic boards, showed Apple folks, drove myself nuts over this, to no avail. Under Tiger and Leopard -- until a recent Leopard update. Now it works fine on both sides. Definitely software related fix for me. There's a thread over at Apple about this entire problem too. The problem is that some recent Leopard build (I think) fixed it for me completely.

I guess the point of this is that the USB port problem is well documented, though I'm not sure any real resolution was ever reached ....

25. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

im not sure if my problem was what you had, but my usb's in my macbook pro were acting up. It would know that i have usb connected for a few days, only for it to not recognize any usb when i disconnect/ plug it in until i reboot.

So i resetted the pram and power management and i have not had the problem in 3 weeks.

hmmm