Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
London
I see a lot of forum users who think Apple is transitioning away from the Mac in favour of iPad.

Doesn't the Retina MacBook strongly suggest this isn't the case? If Apple's plan was to switch most (if not all) Mac users over to iPad, isn't pitching it as an ultra-portable, lightweight, thin computer the best place to start?

Apple spent a lot of time and money developing the Retina MacBook. If Apple's plan is for iPad to replace the Mac, wouldn't we see Apple continuing to update their desktop Macs, and let all their laptops go stale?

Edit: Users who think Tim Cook is ruining Apple need not respond.

Zazoh

macrumors 65832
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
The problem with Apple is it's users. We've demanded more and more and ground breaking changes every year.

Three of my favorite Apple products I've purchased in the last year, and I've been buying Apple for quite some time.

1. Apple iPhone 7+ -- love the dual camera
2. Apple 12 rMB -- love the size and portability
3. AirPods - love the charging and sound

In my book Apple is doing fine.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
I see a lot of forum users who think Apple is transitioning away from the Mac in favour of iPad.

Doesn't the Retina MacBook strongly suggest this isn't the case? If Apple's plan was to switch most (if not all) Mac users over to iPad, isn't pitching it as an ultra-portable, lightweight, thin computer the best place to start?

Apple spent a lot of time and money developing the Retina MacBook. If Apple's plan is for iPad to replace the Mac, wouldn't we see Apple continuing to update their desktop Macs, and let all their laptops go stale?

Edit: Users who think Tim Cook is ruining Apple need not respond.

I completely agree. In these forums it's cool to hate on Tim Cook. Is Apple doing everything perfectly? No, but they are hardly struggling.

I completely agree on the Retina MacBook. It is a marvel of a product. I tried going the way of the iPad partly because I believed that it was the future. The iPad is a great device for what it is, but it is NOT a computer replacement. It continues to have too many shortcomings/workarounds needed for the most basic tasks.

I decided to give the retina MacBook another try recently and I am very glad that I did. It truly is a work of innovation and technology. I have the base 2015 model and it handles everything I throw at it and then some. It is lighter than my iPad with the Apple Smart Keyboard was and it can do SO MUCH MORE.

I look forward to see what the next generation has in store. I will never own a thicker or heavier computer for the rest of my life. It has changed everything I thought I believed about what a notebook can do or be.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010

I don't see it that way.

I think what's going on here is that in Tablets and Notebooks Apple has found itself right where manufactures like Sony and Samsung were 10 years ago at the end of the HDTV boom. Our 3 year old iPad's and our 5 year old MacBook's work just fine and there is no breakthru feature or form factor available now or the near future to get us to step up to a newer model. In fact, when I think back as to why I went from the iPad to the iPad Air 2 and the iPhone 5 to the iPhone 6 it was because the newest iOS release slowed that iPad and that iPhone down to a crawl and I had no option.

Apple looks desperate to keep their record run of innovation going, and it's unfair to them, they can't possibly to it. An oversized iPad didn't get people excited nor did the MacBook Pro's interactive function bar. When my iPad and/or MacBook break that's when I'll need a new one. Just like my 7 year old Sony HDTV that's running like a champ.

BJ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.