MacBook Purchase Advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrcarter2, Jun 4, 2013.

1. mrcarter2 macrumors member

Hey guys I'm about to finish my freshman year in high school. I typed up 20 papers this year (10 of which were 3 page essays) all on my ipad. While my ipad is comfortable for web browsing and video watching on the couch, it isn't very comfortable to use for much else. I don't need much in a laptop. My only uses would be web browsing, managing the files between my iPhone and iPad (using iTunes), typing up documents, creating presentations in keynote/PowerPoint, and doing some light video editing in iMovie every once in a while (nothing too major, just shortening clips, adding media, and adding banners). I'm completely at a loss as to which Mac I should get. I'll be making the money myself over the summer by cutting grass, so money is an object. I'd like the computer to last for a while and get update support going forward. Would an older computer suit my needs or should I wait and save up for a newer model? 2010 White MacBooks can be found for a pretty decent price but I'm not sure if I should get them. Thanks in advance!

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

First, you should wait to see what Apple does when they announce their new computers in 6 days at WWDC. Second, I would go for a new model if you can due to future proofing and the fact that it will be relevant (software wise) longer. I recommend the 13" Air unless you really need a CD drive because they are light, fast and pretty powerful.

3. mrcarter2 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick reply! I would love to have an air but with my education discount it's $150 more expensive than a MacBook Pro and it has less storage so it's kind of a tough sell

4. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Right but it does have a much faster storage system (SSD vs HDD). What I do is make a chart with both models, and give them numbers for all criteria out of one (for example,in the weight category the MBA gets a 1 and the MBP gets 0.67). Include storage amount, speed, CPU,GPU, price, upgradeabiloty etc.Then weigh important categories,like battery life for me. Whichever one gets the most points is the technical winner, but it is still up to you.

5. mrcarter2 thread starter macrumors member

After making the list, the MacBook Pro edged out the MacBook Air by a small margin. Although the MacBook Pro is pretty heavy and thick, my ipad negates that issue. Now the only thing to figure out is if I should spring for a new MacBook Pro or settle for an older model (talking about the 13" by the way).

6. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Only one way to find out. However,the expected gains are in battery life and graphics performance,so if Apple could pull off a 10 hour battery in the MBA,that might be a reason to go new model.

7. tann macrumors 68000

We'll see what comes monday, but since you seem to be a student (so student discount) i'd say 13" air (consider 8gb of ram as well).

The 13" MacBook Pro is good, but unless you really need the optical drive or really want to not spend as much due to budgetary constraints I'd say Air.

If you can I would also suggest to go into a store and use each, see how fast they are at loading up apps and compare their weights.

I'd also look at refurb ones if you find newer ones too high priced, but often recent refurbs aren't as good a price as new ones with that juicy education discount! I'd say definitely don't get something as old as a 2010 White MacBook though.

8. mrcarter2 thread starter macrumors member

It would take me forever to make the money but I really am leaning towards buying a newer model. I'll wait till after WWDC to make my decision. Thanks for you help!

9. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

What abort a refurb air? The price of those will probably drop on Monday.

10. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    Wait until next week, then go for the cheapest 13 inch Macbook Pro. Advantages over the air include; better battery life, larger screen, upgradable memory and hard drive, faster graphics, better screen (color reproduction).

11. B... macrumors 68000

B...

He is debating 13" Air or 13" Pro. Most of those don't apply.

12. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    non-retina 13' Pro has:

Superior battery life
    Superior screen
    Easier to upgrade
    optical drive
    larger built in HD
    higher Geekbench and Xbench scores

Well, if that stuff is important anyway. ;)

13. B... macrumors 68000

B...

It does not have a superior battery life. Check out Anandtech's review.

14. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

If you want the student opinion, get the 13" non-retina MBP. Mine from 2009 has held up reasonably well through college. Since you can always upgrade the RAM and the hard drive later, it should certainly last you a few years. As a student you don't really need retina. MBAs are certainly portable, but I question how sturdy they are. At $999 with the student discount the cMBP is an extremely good deal for any Apple computer. And you can always wait to see what happens Monday with refurbs and previous year models. If you have a college or university near you that sells Macs on campus, they should be running some good bundle deals.