Macbook purchase (newbie), or wait till october?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thon, Jul 26, 2007.

1. thon macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I was a windows guy, now a linux guy, and figured the mac would be a good bet for me for home use, uploading pictures, and editing home movies of my son etc.

I am seriously thinking about the black Macbook w/2gb crucial ram, and the ipod and printer rebate through the academic store.

However, reading on the new OS available come october, would it be wise for me to wait? Being a linux guy, I'm not keen on paying for software, nor do I want to buy the macbook now only to have the speeds and feeds updated in 3 months.

Any suggestions? I don't mind doing the research but I can't seem to get a decent reading on this topic in regards to my purchase.

thanks

2. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

If tiger does what you need, and you're happy with the hardware now, why wait? Leopard will be a $70 upgrade later on, and you can wait to upgrade until they work the inevitable new OS kinks out. Some people never upgrade.

In reality the speed jump will probably be negligible relative to what's out there now, and certainly won't make a difference for what you're doing. The free iPod and printer are probably worth a lot more than whatever you'd gain by waiting.

3. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

if you were a Linux user you will love OS X... it is based on BSD. On Finder hit Go>Utilities>Terminal... that is the base os OS, feel free to put in all the UNIX commands your heart desires.

I say go for it... with all the rebates and back to school deals it is worth it... you don't know when they are going to stop the promotion. Sure you would get the brand new OS.. but without the promotional stuff!! Welcome to the site and the brand

4. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

Sounds just like my reasons for adding a Mac to my growing home network... :)

Anyway, I myself am going to soon be taking advantage of the academic promotion. For awhile, I was waiting for Leopard too, but realized that:

1. I'd rather wait for the inevitable bugs/problems to be ironed out before using the student discount to upgrade to Leopard sometime in January (Although all the troubleshooting/bug hunting *would* serve as a sort of crash course in servicing Macs...)

2. The free iPod and printer are too good to pass up (over $300 in savings) just to get Leopard shipped with my BlackBook when I can later buy it for $60.

These are my reasons for buying now, upgrading later. Hope it helped!

5. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

if you have any use for an iPod, then buying now is a better deal than waiting. Buy leopard when you feel you need it for $70 later on. Tiger won't stop working the day the new OS comes out.

6. thon thread starter macrumors newbie

hey guys/girls,

Thanks for the replies, they definitely do help put things in perspective.

I'm going to try and pick mine up before sept when the promotion expires.

now, besides the look, is it worth the 200 bucks to go black instead of the higher end white one?

im thinking probably not?

i like the black ones looks better, but 120g vs 160g isn't worth 200 bucks to me?

7. greenBabe macrumors newbie

If you go with the white (less expensive) MacBook ... you can still dress it up with a SeeThru case ... I have a red one from Speck that I use with my MacBook Pro ... you can see them here:

http://speckproducts.com/for-macbook13.html

Extra bonus ... you can change colors and protect your Mac all at one time!

8. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I'd wait if you can. At a minimum you'll get the new Leopard revision
    worth around $129 and they may tweak MB with slight speed jump and/or
    LED screen.

9. aethelbert macrumors 601

The current promotions outweigh the costs of 10.5. If you wait, there's always gonna be something right around the corner. I bought the white 2.16 yesterday and it's a great computer. And since the laptops won't likely be updated before or at the release of Leopard, these systems will run it 100%. Even if there is an unlikely update to the notebook lines, the current ones will run Leopard just as well.