Macbook Purchase, should I wait?

jeditigger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
2
0
I am slowly transitioning from PC to Mac. I am in the market to purchase another MacBook in the near future. Anyone have an idea when the next updated line of MacBooks are to be released? Should I buy now and not worry about what is to come for it is too far off? I like to get the most for my money so if waiting a bit will give me a better machine then so be it.

Thanks in advance
 

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
4,826
1
The MacBook Pro section says "days since update - 186" ... that can't be right, the LED backlit line like just came out. :confused:
 

BioChron

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2006
102
0
Alaska
What you could do is wait until October to get a new MacBook with Leopard on it, but if it doesn't matter get a new one now. :)

- Daniel
 

S.R.G

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2007
2
0
Macbook upgrade

The reason for me not to buy a Macbook right now is that I am seeing it likely Apple will need to upgrade the Macbooks hardware, especially the graphics chip before Leopard.

Anybody care to comment on my thoughts?
 

jeditigger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
2
0
S.R.G. That is exaclty why I am considering waiting. I would kick myself if I buy now only to have a newer hardware config for Leopard come about within a month or so.
 

razyorv

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2007
59
0
I think Apple will update sometime in January. If you look at their history, Macbooks have been updated in May and in January.

What I think Apple should do is justify the $125 for the Blackbook by upgrading the black to the Santa Rosa platform and give it the X1300 graphics.
 

S.R.G

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2007
2
0
razyorv, that is exactly what I am expecting.
As long as they will do this change to all, the computer will surely be fine at least for another year.
Personaly I do expect that Apple will upgrade all Macbooks to SantaRosa with the GMA X3100 384RAM and then differentiate the macbooks by a higher cpu and memory ram.
 

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
2,211
85
Australia
According to the guide on average it will be updated in 100 days or so, that'd be around December.
But they'd never update in December, instead it's most likely to be in January.

The reason for me not to buy a Macbook right now is that I am seeing it likely Apple will need to upgrade the Macbooks hardware, especially the graphics chip before Leopard.
The MacBook's run Leopard just fine at the moment with the GMA950 so I wouldn't expect them to upgrade them before Leopard. They'll upgrade to the next stage with Santa Rosa most likely in January.

I just bought a BlackBook and couldn't be happier.

What I think Apple should do is justify the $125 for the Blackbook by upgrading the black to the Santa Rosa platform and give it the X1300 graphics.
Technically the black casing is made of a different composite than the white ones that I have heard is slightly more expensive anyway, albeit not by much.

I don't doubt that all MacBooks will get better graphics with Santa Rosa, but I'm not sure what their plans could be for the Black model, it should be a bridge between the lower and upper end laptops, but it isn't currently.

Time will tell, January will tell. Buy now.