Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.michael

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
Hey, I'm a freshman in high school. Right now, I have an iMac, and I love it. At school, I know that laptops are aloud and having one could really benefit me, because I participate in a lot of extra curriculars and don't get home until late. So being able to finish up work at the library would be great. However, that would involve purchasing a laptop.
So I was thinking, and am, about purchasing sometime of Macbook. One that'll work alright but doesn't have to be spectacular. Something cheaper as well would be good, although no apple product is truly cheap. So, to the point. Anyone know where I can find a Macbook in good shape (refurbished, used, new would be amazing but unlikely) online (not just Ebay or Amazon, because a lot are scams) for a cheap price? The white or black macbook would do. Black preferably. Any advice is welcomed :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'd recommend that you go for a refurb model; refurb black, or white (their prices are exceedingly good value) MB, or the 13" MBP refurb.

That way, you will be able to get a very good computer at a very competitive price, backed up by Apple's guarantees and warranties and you will not have to expose yourself to the possibility of scams or fraud that sites such as eBay and Craigslist sometimes pose.

Cheers and good luck

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I'm going to be a junior in high school, and let me tell you, you don't need more than one computer. Finishing work at the library? The library has computers and word processors, powerpoint, etc. Just use that and email it to yourself. Then use your iMac when you get home.

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2008
Save your money the next few years to buy yourself an awesome laptop when you go to college. There is no need for you to have a laptop in high school, it's ridiculous IMO. Save your money and buy other things, or buy a netbook. You should not be buying a notebook over $1000 to get through high school, it will be a complete waste of money.

I firmly believe the high schoolers who have laptops and smart phones are pretty much a joke. They have them just to have them, they serve no utility other than to make them feel "cool".

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Hey, I'm a freshman in high school. Right now, I have an iMac, and I love it. At school, I know that laptops are aloud and having one could really benefit me, because I participate in a lot of extra curriculars and don't get home until late. So being able to finish up work at the library would be great. However, that would involve purchasing a laptop.
So I was thinking, and am, about purchasing sometime of Macbook. One that'll work alright but doesn't have to be spectacular. Something cheaper as well would be good, although no apple product is truly cheap. So, to the point. Anyone know where I can find a Macbook in good shape (refurbished, used, new would be amazing but unlikely) online (not just Ebay or Amazon, because a lot are scams) for a cheap price? The white or black macbook would do. Black preferably. Any advice is welcomed :)

Get the refurb white nvidia 09. It was $749 yesterday. This is an outstanding deal! Add 4GB ram later and boost the HD if you like but it work very well in OS X and XP as is.

Cheers,

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Save your money the next few years to buy yourself an awesome laptop when you go to college. There is no need for you to have a laptop in high school, it's ridiculous IMO. Save your money and buy other things, or buy a netbook. You should not be buying a notebook over $1000 to get through high school, it will be a complete waste of money.

Says who? Depends on the circumstances and personal finances. I personally had more than $1000 during high school since I worked all four years. Our child is legally blind and has a MacPro (w/24" display), laptop and kindle. These technologies are of great assistance with her studies.

Cheers,

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2008
Says who? Depends on the circumstances and personal finances. I personally had more than $1000 during high school since I worked all four years. Our child is legally blind and has a MacPro (w/24" display), laptop and kindle. These technologies are of great assistance with her studies.

Cheers,

That's an exception though. I guarantee the "cool" factor is the main factor in the OP's desire to get a macbook, as I'm sure is the instigating factor in his peers having notebooks at school too. If they really need something to take notes and write things on, a $300 netbook would serve the same function while being far more portable. Other than that, a pen and piece of lined paper should be sufficient for nearly all high schoolers. They shouldn't be allowed to have laptops in the classroom unless it's a very specific kind of school. Otherwise the kids will be distracted playing their games.

boston44

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2009

Craigslist man. I bought the high end 2.4 GHz black macbook that retailed for $1,500 for $500 with everything and $400 office, and $170 Quickbooks. All in all with everything, she paid $2,500 for the whole setup and sold it for $500. I also bought a 2.16 GHz black for $325 with box. There are great, legit deals on clist man.

.michael

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
Getting a macbook for high school has nothing to do with being cool. Now a days, I have four hours of homework everynight, in all honors classes, and participate in sports and some other after school activities every day, afterschool. I am trying to keep a scholarship and I need to participate in a lot of stuff. By the time I get home, it'll be 7. Because I have like an hour free period during class, I can at least get some of the work done in school, so I won't be going to sleep at one every night.
And after using a mac for a few years, I know that I won't be getting a PC. I'd rather buy a $1,000 computer now then have to buy a replacement for a PC in the next four years. Or deal with the hassle of my school network + PC.
So yeah, the "cool" factor has nothing to do with it. It has to do with getting stuff done.

And crap, panzer06, that is a good deal!

Eclipseon

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2008
Getting a macbook for high school has nothing to do with being cool. Now a days, I have four hours of homework everynight, in all honors classes, and participate in sports and some other after school activities every day, afterschool. I am trying to keep a scholarship and I need to participate in a lot of stuff. By the time I get home, it'll be 7. Because I have like an hour free period during class, I can at least get some of the work done in school, so I won't be going to sleep at one every night.
And after using a mac for a few years, I know that I won't be getting a PC. I'd rather buy a $1,000 computer now then have to buy a replacement for a PC in the next four years. Or deal with the hassle of my school network + PC.
So yeah, the "cool" factor has nothing to do with it. It has to do with getting stuff done.

Umm...what stuff? I was in the same predicament during my junior year of high school and relied heavily upon good ol' willpower, several pieces of lined notebook paper, and a pencil (or pen) to get my schoolwork done. At the time, I was doing soccer (had no free time between my block periods whatsoever) and got home at half past 7:00. I had a Toshiba laptop at the time, but my workload did not permit me to use it occasionally. I was only able to use it for extensive reports. All of my notes were made in color-coordinated spiral notebooks.

Just saying of course :D I say wait because waiting has made a world of a difference for me!

.michael

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
Yeah I guess you might be right. But now, with the refurb only costing me 750, I think I might do that. And because of the ability to now download courses onto a laptop, I could get a lot done whenever.

And to clarify, the stuff would be Italian (the Rosetta Stone Course), and any other work I can cram in during my free time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.