Macbook - queries

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by chan2004, Apr 15, 2008.

1. chan2004 macrumors regular

guys,

got my macbook recently. a new convert :)
    really enjoying my mac

but have some questions -
    1)Is there any shortcut for shutting off your macbook?
    2)my cd drive makes a strange sound when loading or unloading a cd. is this normal?
    3)my photobooth couldn't implement background effects with photos.
    can i rectify this problem?
    4)I have a mac OS cd that i got from apple. For more safety, I want to copy of my leopard cd for only my use.
    will this violate any copyright laws? if so, what to do to create a backup of leopard?
    5)is there any way to toggle between applications in the same desktop?
    I tried command + tab button. It opens the application window but not the application itself
    for eg. when i toggle between open office and a new window, it opens the openoffice toolbar, but not the
    word document i have open :(
    6)Does an apple remote really make a difference to the way you work
    7)i can't move folders from an external hard disk. it's CUT, not COPY
    8)recently, i tried to delete a folder from a hard disk(windows FAT32). my mac gave me an error code 061. why?

last and most important

what are the things I should note down or keep safe for future hardware or software issues

thanks,
    B

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Just press the power button, and a pop-up will come up asking if you want to restart, sleep, cancel or shut down. You don't really need to, though; just closing the lid will put the computer into sleep.

Its a weird noise, but yeah, its normal.

Have you tried it in a well-lit room? The iSight camera really doesn't like low light.
    No-one is going to knock your door down if you do, but you only really need the disk when you are installing the system. Just keep it in a safe place and you'll be fine.
    Use Cmd+Tab for changing between applcations, use Cmd+` for changing between windows in applications
    Unless you use your MacBook as a media centre, no, not really.
    Just use drag and drop. If you want to delete the file from its source disk, hold down the Cmd button when dragging it.
    Dont know that I can help you on this one
    Just keep a backup of all your important data. Time Machine is really good for this.

Hope that helped :)

3. chan2004 thread starter macrumors regular

4. XP Defector macrumors 6502

If you haven't already, buy some sort of decent case to put your MacBook in. They're not exactly known for being the most durable things. Also, a cool trick is to press together the keys down of ctrl-alt-apple-8 at the same time. Press them again to switch back. Don't forget to configure your hot corners for expose, they're really useful.

5. chan2004 thread starter macrumors regular

OMG

is there any apple key?:confused:

6. TheStu macrumors 65816

The Command Key also used to have an Apple on it, they have since stopped doing this for some unknown reason. They also go rid of NumLock (which I am cool with) and the little enter key (which I am not cool with, I like the little enter key)

Don't bother looking for it, it isn't there.

7. chan2004 thread starter macrumors regular

an apple key would have really looked cool:(

8. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

option+command+eject will put it to sleep.

I believe shift+option+command+eject will shut down, but I didn't want to so you'll have to see for youself.

shift+command+option+Q will log you out.