Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
thinking of buying a macbook, but just wanted to query one of it's functions - namely the tv out.

can you connect the macbook to your tv while frontrow is running? and use the remote to control whatever is playing on the macbook?

i hope that makes sense, and also hope that it works as easy as it sounds.

just another quickie, i believe that the macbook has a line in/out too? and that it's stereo (not mono).. i'd like to record some of my mixes direct to it and my current laptop only has the line in using the mic jack - and that's mono not stereo (or something like that)

thanks

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
You can connect a MacBook to a tv easily enough, but you will need an adaptor dpending on what kind of tv it is. You can generally get one at the time you're buying, but the Apple Store has them too. To view FrontRow on the tv you simply set the tv as the main monitor (pretty easy to do). The remote works fine. I do it with an external monitor regularly, which is no different from doing with with a tv.

The audio is line in/out, and is in stereo.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
dalvin200 said:
thinking of buying a macbook, but just wanted to query one of it's functions - namely the tv out.

can you connect the macbook to your tv while frontrow is running? and use the remote to control whatever is playing on the macbook?

i hope that makes sense, and also hope that it works as easy as it sounds.

just another quickie, i believe that the macbook has a line in/out too? and that it's stereo (not mono).. i'd like to record some of my mixes direct to it and my current laptop only has the line in using the mic jack - and that's mono not stereo (or something like that)

thanks

With the miniDVI -> S-Video/Composite adapter you can plug the MacBook into a television. If you plug in a keyboard and mouse you can then shut the lid, output the video to the TV and use Front Row on the television. If you don't want to go the keyboard/mouse route, set the MacBook to mirror it's output on the TV and then turn the brightness on the MacBook's display right down till it turns off.

The audio-in on the MacBook supports both analogue and digital/optical audio-in. You will need a pre-amp if you want to boost a regular mic from mic-level to line-level if you want to record to your Mac. Yes, it is stereo.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
thanks for the reply guys..

so you have to use the mini-dvi socket to output... damn.. means buying another lead.. lol!!

currently i have an s-video out from my laptop which goes into the s-video onto the tv.. lol..

but ok, the mini-dvi cable aint that expensive anyway.. but using the frontrow on tv would be cool..

i dont have an HD TV or anything - it's just a regular widescreen CRT.. so doesn't have any digital inputs.. i guess s-video/scart is it :)

j26 - you said that you can set the output of the macbook to TV (which is the same as what I currently do), but chundles said to mirror the display to the tv and turn the brightness down ( bit of a tedious task)..

is you output to tv, wouldn't the display on the macbook just turn off as the output is now the tv (right?)

thanks

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
dalvin200 said:
thanks for the reply guys..

so you have to use the mini-dvi socket to output... damn.. means buying another lead.. lol!!

currently i have an s-video out from my laptop which goes into the s-video onto the tv.. lol..

but ok, the mini-dvi cable aint that expensive anyway.. but using the frontrow on tv would be cool..

i dont have an HD TV or anything - it's just a regular widescreen CRT.. so doesn't have any digital inputs.. i guess s-video/scart is it :)

j26 - you said that you can set the output of the macbook to TV (which is the same as what I currently do), but chundles said to mirror the display to the tv and turn the brightness down ( bit of a tedious task)..

is you output to tv, wouldn't the display on the macbook just turn off as the output is now the tv (right?)

thanks

Mirroring the display and turning the brightness down takes the following steps:

1. Hit F7 to mirror display
2. Hold down F1 till display turns off.

That's hardly tedious.

When you set the TV as the primary display the MB's display won't turn off because now you have two displays, giving you more real estate. You either just mirror and dim the MB's display or run in closed-lid mode with the keyboard and mouse plugged in.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
Chundles said:
Mirroring the display and turning the brightness down takes the following steps:

1. Hit F7 to mirror display
2. Hold down F1 till display turns off.

That's hardly tedious.

sorry mate - wasn't aware of the keyboard shortcuts :rolleyes:

Chundles said:
When you set the TV as the primary display the MB's display won't turn off because now you have two displays, giving you more real estate. You either just mirror and dim the MB's display or run in closed-lid mode with the keyboard and mouse plugged in.

but if you want to watch a movie or something, would you use this option? or just output to tv? (or is this one and the same thing?)

sorry for the confusion..

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
dalvin200 said:
sorry mate - wasn't aware of the keyboard shortcuts :rolleyes:

but if you want to watch a movie or something, would you use this option? or just output to tv? (or is this one and the same thing?)

sorry for the confusion..

When i want to plug my iBook into the TV to watch a DVD or a movie etc I do the following:

1. Plug iBook into TV, it automatically detects the TV and mirrors the display.
2. Dim the screen down to zero
3. Navigate to the DVD/movie using the TV, hit play.

I don't have the luxury of Front Row or extended desktop mode (supported that is) let alone running with the lid closed.

It's really very easy to do, I would just relax and stop worrying about the minutiae, just know this.

What you are asking your MacBook to do, it will do.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
Another Query

Just thought of another quick query..

How long does the Macbook last on sleep mode from a full charge?

I hope it doesn't drain the battery too much..

Also, what's the better deal:

Macbook, with 6 months warranty left with 1.5gb RAM
or
Macbook with 11 months warranty left with 1gb RAM

both same price, but not sure which to go for.. the one with more warranty or more RAM..

Thanks

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
dalvin200 said:
Just thought of another quick query..

How long does the Macbook last on sleep mode from a full charge?

I hope it doesn't drain the battery too much..

Also, what's the better deal:

Macbook, with 6 months warranty left with 1.5gb RAM
or
Macbook with 11 months warranty left with 1gb RAM

both same price, but not sure which to go for.. the one with more warranty or more RAM..

Thanks

Don't know about how long it lasts on sleep but my iBook seems to last for ages, and ages, and ages....

On the other matter, if you're going to buy Apple Care then I'd go for the one with the 1.5GB of RAM because it will give you the most performance and the ability to upgrade to 2GB without tossing out both RAM sticks.

If you're not going to buy Apple Care then I'd go for the one with the longer warranty because every little bit of comfort helps. You can then save for Apple Care and get it in 10 months time. Upgrading the RAM means you're going to have to toss one stick to get 1.5GB or both to get 2GB. 1GB should be enough for the moment providing you're not doing a lot of heavy work with Rosetta apps.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
The newer one (11 months left on warranty) is less likely to have any of the issues that some people complained about in the earlier ones - moo, random shutdowns, discolouration etc. My MacBooks about a month old and and has none of these, some of the earlier ones seemed to. The earlier one sounds like one of the first macbooks as they were only released in April/May* this year.
The extra warranty is also a bonus.

* can't remember exactly when.

I've left mine sleep for 2-3 days and still had loads of power left btw

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
mini-dvi to vga adapter??

Thanks for the replies..

seems like my decision is made :)

I was lookinginto the mini-dvi to vga adapter and could only find this one on apple store:

LINK

It says its only for use with the iMac (intel Core) and Powerbook G4??

Couldn't find anything with regards to Macbook compatibility..

Am I missing something?

Thanks...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.