MacBook ques's

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Glennster, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Glennster macrumors regular

Last year, in a moment of haste, I purchased a MacBook air. When I got it I found it very confusing to use. Long story short: I sold it a month later.

I currently use my work-provided laptop, a DELL, which does the job. But I prefer to keep my personal and work things totally separate. Therefore, my wife and I are taking a second look at the MacBook as our personal laptop.

Here is my thing: we have gone through 2 laptops before (Windows based) and after less than 2 years they are garbage: battery goes, slows down, virus, harddrive gone, etc.

We are not gamers, not into photography or anything with graphics. Our uses for it would be: internet, iTunes, MS Office, and require Parallels to run Windows for a small side-project that requires Windows. That's it.

I guess I am asking: Is a Mac worth it? For what we use it for, will it out-live an HP or Dell? Also, the one I had before was so foreign to what I was used to with a Windows computer re: minimize windows, where files are kept, etc.

2. rhaezorblue macrumors regular

So much great software comes with Mac's in general, and when compared to a similarly sized and quality Windows laptop, your Mac should last you several more years of great use over the Windows laptop. Just like any technology product, there is the chance of it having issues, but the same goes for any man made device. I'd rather buy a quality product once, pay a little more, but not have to replace it every 2 years because it starts crapping out. Two things that are not wise to go cheap on: laptops and footwear. You will pay for it eventually ;)

3. motrek macrumors 68020

I understand the problem. Everybody says Macs are easy to use which might have given you a false sense of how much learning would be involved.

Anything as complex as a computer that can do as much as a computer will require some amount of learning and some time to adjust. If you approach the "problem" with this mindset, I imagine you will have much more success.

I believe Apple offers free classes on how to use Macs at their Apple Stores. Those might be worth going to. If you have a friend or relative that uses a Mac then maybe you can ask them about any problems you run into. And of course you can always Google any questions.

I have recommended Macs to several friends and relatives, who all have varying levels of proficiency with computers, and now they all love their Macs. So if it's possible for them, there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to get comfortable with one.

4. Vanilla Face macrumors 6502

You can minimize windows, I'm not sure why that was a problem. I completely understand where you are coming from with "where files are kept". when I made the switch to Mac in 2007 I remember that was one of my biggest frustrations. I didn't understand the file/folder hierarchy and how it was organized. It's such a critical part of using Windows that I assumed it was critical to using any computer. It took me a few weeks to figure it out, but in the end, it almost didn't even matter. Applications are in the Applications folder, documents are in documents, pictures in pictures, downloads in downloads, stuff on the desktop was in desktop. Most users don't really have to know how to navigate to those folders because they are all on the side bar of finder or you can get to them from the 'Go' menu. You don't have to worry about file paths and directories. When I look back on it I think the best way to describe it is that I was used to using a system that was more complex than it needed to be that when I switched to Mac it was so simple that I though I surely had to be doing something wrong.

I haven't had a Windows machine in long enough that the problems I had with them might not be relevant anymore. What I tend to see though is that people keep their Mac computers for much longer than their PCs. When I had Windows, it required a lot of maintenance to ensure that it didn't get bogged down. I'd usually end up reinstalling windows every few years. In comparison, OS X is almost maintenance free. It just works. Once you get the hang of it I think you'll love it.

If you don't mind me asking, what software would you be using that would require you to run Windows?

5. Glennster thread starter macrumors regular

I help to look after a small hockey league that uses a Windows-only based program for tracking stats. The owners prefer the program and I cannot seem to get them to stray from it. Its nothing major or a system hog, mainly just text and calculations, etc.

6. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

You are coming to a Mac forums, asking if we think a Mac is worth it? What answer do you expect?

7. Glennster, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2015

Glennster thread starter macrumors regular

Its amazing how it takes one person like you to throw-off the discussion. I came on looking for an honest opinion. If you don't like the topic then don't post! Pretty simple.

8. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

MacBook ques's

The trackpad and related gestures are worth the price premium alone.

And Preview (not needing anything Adobe).

And Quicklook.

And Spotlight.

And the overall OS stability. Weeks and weeks of actually forgetting to shut down your Mac.

And the 20/30 apps you will only find on a Mac, that - were you to use them - you would quickly begin wondering why nothing like them is available on Windows.

[Edit]: I switched 3 years ago. Still have to have a Windows machine at work - but that aside, I'm never going back.

Good luck!

9. Vanilla Face macrumors 6502

You could try running it using WineBottler, that way you wouldn't have to run Windows. http://winebottler.kronenberg.org

10. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

Glenn:

Here's your answer:

A the beginning of 2010 I purchased a 13" MBP for my wife and it's still going strong.

The same time I purchased an 11" MBA for myself and a year ago I gave to my daughter in law and purchased a 2014 for myself. They are both going strong with the latest OSX. The 2014 does run bit faster and the battery lasts longer but quality, durability and usability are still working extremely well.

In the same amount of time all of the Windows laptop owners I know, even those who spent equivalent amounts of money, have purchase at least one other upgraded laptop.

Now which programs still work on the MBP and MBAs?
    MS Word and Office, Photoshop, and many others all of which did not require I purchase the latest and greatest upgrade to remain functional.

The story is a Mac product will normally (of course there are always exceptions) last you at minimum over five years and not be outdated or broken.

BTW OSX is far easier than Win 8 to run and really less complicated than Win 7 and I would consider myself a "power" user of all of them. Just don't get confused by all the different "animal" and park names used over the years by Apple. OSX pretty much works the same as it did 20 years ago, just a lot more features.

11. sjackson macrumors newbie

I'll throw my oar in.....

Back in 2012 I made the jump from a Windows laptop to a Macbook Air (1.8GHz i5, 8GB RAM & 120SSD). I have to admit it took me a long time to bond with the new machine and I'm talking months rather than weeks. Do I still long for Windows? Yes sometimes as I still know that OS more intimately than OSX and I'd be more confident playing/hacking in a Windows environment (I have some Win7 machines still running at home for media serving and playing duties). I've had some random OSX crashes but also plenty of them with Windows in my time. For the life of me I still can't get used to CMD+C or V to copy and paste rather than CTRL+C or V.

I really don't like the Metro look of Windows 8 so all my machines are running Win7 at home. I'm sure you can probably turn it off but I've never bothered looking.

I usually replace machines every three years and 2015 is the first time I think I'll break that cycle. Considering the MBA is my bread and butter (I'm a web developer) I have no need to upgrade to a new machine. Sure I'd like to get a Pro with Retina screen, an extra Thunderbolt port and optical audio out but hardware wise I just don't need to. The Air is still plenty fast for what I need it for and it's three years later. I will however upgrade the SSD to a 480GB as I find the 120GB very limiting.

In addition to my software/web development tools I also run VM Ware Fusion for a Win7 virtual machine. This is one of the reasons I need a bigger SSD.

The honest answer is that yes it will take time to get your head around but hardware and OS wise, mine is still working great after 3 years and I've never reinstalled the operating system.

12. jdechko macrumors 68040

If you have a local Apple store, check to see what sort of Mac 101 classes they offer. Most stores will have one or two per week. If no classes are offered, then you could still go in and find someone's brain to pick.

13. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

I left Windows for Mac when the rMBP and Windows 8 came out at the same time. I have never looked back, but yes, it does take a little while to get used to a new OS. While I still miss a couple of things (stuff like window maximizing, the home and end buttons, etc), I love it for everything else.

I have a Win7 laptop for work, full of crapware my company installed and it's so amazingly frustrating to use, both windows and the laptop itself. My old personal Win laptops never got that bad but yes, they got worse as time passed.

As far as hardware is concerned, you can get pretty good ones that will last you longer, but their price range is akin to Macs. Cheap windows laptops are incredibly short-lived (with the caveat that I haven't tried the newer ones).

I've had my rMBP for 2.5 years until I sold it, and my MBA for two years. It's not very long, but they never, ever, got any different than they were when I bought them. OK, maybe the battery, but that's a "problem" accross the board. The build quality of the MBA, which is a $1000 machine, rivals that of my old $2500 "pro" Dells.

So it does take a while to get used to. Changing OS means changing your habits - and trying new software. You have to be willing to put in that effort. But overall, once you get past a few hurdles (keyboard differences, old reflexes that don't work anymore, where the heck is the Finder...) you realize it's not that much different. It's a bit like getting a new house.

14. Nee412 macrumors 6502

I'm using a MacBook from 2008 to write this post. Yes it's on its last legs now and needs replacing, but it still works well enough for things like this. Before my MacBook I used Dell laptops, which all lasted about two years.

Mac = 6 years and counting. Generic laptops = 2 years. From my experience anyway.

OSX is just a new OS to you, which is why you find it confusing. Give it another try and a little more time. Once you get used to it you'll be rewarded with a much more stable platform than Windows. It's similar to when I've used Android phones in the past to help customers access the Wi-Fi at work. It's a little confusing for me when I need to find certain settings, because I'm used to iOS.

The build quality and customer support from Apple is worth the premium for their products.

15. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

For your needs and that fact that you already returned a Mac because you didn't like it and would need to run Windows as VM if you purchased another Mac, then purchasing another Mac would be a very poor choice. Nothing has changed with OS X that will make you suddenly fall in love with it.

Just avoid budget Windows laptops and you won't have an issue.

16. dangerfish macrumors 6502

What is it about the Mac that you find confusing? The operating system? The hardware? The Mac is easy to use and upkeep is minimal but it IS different. There will be a learning curve. But the community will help you; just ask questions.
    I run my business (Medical device manufacturing company) on a 2009 iMac. I run OS X and Windows (via Parallels) at the same time without issues. Yes I've upgraded the hard drive and the RAM but it is a fantastic, reliable computer. My Air is the best computer I've ever owned. Its a fantastic computer. It goes with me wherever I go most days.
    I could never go back to Windows. We are an all Mac family and I wouldn't have it any other way. My family's tech support requirements dropped by 95% when we went Mac.