Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Epstein

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
So I already own a macbook pro 15" but eed a small computer for school (g4 i have i use for music only). Is the Macbook 13" worth it? Should I wait for a Macbook Pro 13"?

eyebeaz

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2006
Well seeing as there is no certainty as to Apple releasing a smaller MPB, I say the Macbook is definitely worth it.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
A macbook would be good for school unless you are using 3D programs. It is almost just as capable as the pro version, but there is no discrete graphics controller on the macbook. If you need that, then you can use the macbook pro sometimes.

uicandrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2006
A macbook would be good for school unless you are using 3D programs. It is almost just as capable as the pro version, but there is no discrete graphics controller on the macbook. If you need that, then you can use the macbook pro sometimes.

and even if you are using "graphics" intensive programs, go to barefeats and look at the benchmars for the different programs. you'll be surprised to see what programs actually heavily use the GPU.

case in point - video encoding (converting avi files to dvd)... seems like gpu job, right? nope, it is dependent on CPU. that really surprised me.

tennismanclay

macrumors regular
May 11, 2007
US-Texas
I would get it now, i just pulled the trigger on my new top of the line blackbook and love it, if only it had better graphics :cool:

As long as your not doing much 3d work it will be just as good as your macbook pro, or almost as good.

Clay

Epstein

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
no im not running graphic programs, but i am doing a lot of music recording, but I have a macbook pro already i got in dec of 2006. I just need a smaller laptop for school. The G4 I also use for recording

tennismanclay

macrumors regular
May 11, 2007
US-Texas
no im not running graphic programs, but i am doing a lot of music recording, but I have a macbook pro already i got in dec of 2006. I just need a smaller laptop for school. The G4 I also use for recording

The macbook will be perfect in your case, Good luck!

Epstein

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
Buy it now! These things are really affordable with the student discount and they now come with 1 GB of memory standard, although I upgrade to 2GB.

does the 2gb ram really make a big difference?

im running (right now) my macbook pro with 2 gigs of ram, seems fast, but I thought it would be A LOT faster!

ElCambo

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2007
Buy it! I just got my blackbook a few weeks ago with 2gig. Its just beautiful. The 2gig is worth it, I noticed that everything is just much smoother, and it can handle so many apps at once with 2gig. Yesturday I was playing Frozen Throne (Battlenet) Burning a dvd, downloading using Transmission, Browsing the web, on MSN, sending files from my xbox to my mac with Fetch (FTP program), and also making a movie on iMovie. All these apps were running and there was no slowdown! Simply Amazing!

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
you're going to spend another $1500 for a MacBook that's only a couple inches smaller than your perfectly good MBP? Someone's a prodigal

geoffy

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2007
does the 2gb ram really make a big difference?

im running (right now) my macbook pro with 2 gigs of ram, seems fast, but I thought it would be A LOT faster!

I don't know if it is any faster, but it will certainly give you some serious flexibility and it won't be obsolete as soon. My last laptop was a G3 Blueberry ibook with 320MB of RAM and a 300 MHz, although I wouldn't put my macbook on my lap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.