Macbook questions [games, price]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DylanC, Oct 28, 2007.

1. DylanC macrumors newbie

Hi, are macbooks ok for running games? obviously i would use bootcamp to run most games but do they come with ok graphics capabilities? also the lowest ive seen a refurbished one is $1000 anyway i might be able to find one maybe 850 or 900 dollars?

TY:apple:

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

MacBooks are only capable of running the least demanding games. Without hardware T & L most modern 3D games won't run and those that do will run poorly. The MacBook Pro is a better gaming laptop.

Lowend PC laptps are probably a better choice in this regard as games are usually Windows-based anyways.

3. DylanC thread starter macrumors newbie

ok that rules that out then, any suggestions for a mac that can run 3d games o.k.?

edit: below $1000? :p
    :apple:

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Yes indeed. If you don't need portability the refurb 17" iMac Core 2 Duo with SUperdrive comes with a Radeon X1600 card that is fairly good at running games. Its around $900 complete.

5. DylanC thread starter macrumors newbie

coudl you give me a link to the 17"? all i can find on the refurbished page is the 20" thats like 1100 dollars

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You will have to wait until they come in. 4:00AM EST Tues-Saturday.

7. DylanC thread starter macrumors newbie

well, i wont be buying one till like january lol :p

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You could probably pick up one of the new 20" ones by then for the same money.

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Ditto.

OP, if money is a constraint, then I don't think a Mac is best for this situation (gasp!). Seriously, your dollar will go further with a PC desktop. If you are going to be doing a lot of non-gaming activities as well, then the macbook makes more sense.

10. fearxtragedy macrumors member

i play guild wars and warcraft 3 on my macbook 2.16ghz and it runs smoother than on my pc with 128mb video card.

beautifully in fact =]

11. TheStu macrumors 65816

How do you get Guild Wars to run beautifully? I use to have a 128MB 6800LE (then unlocked to become a 6800Ultra, with half the RAM) and even locked it ran GuildWars, literally beautifully. Every cranked to high, at 1600*1200 resolution... mmmm.... guildwars...

Anyway, on my MacBook, i can run it at 1280*800 and it will run smoothly, but almost everything is on low. How much ram does your MacBook have, and do you really think that extra 333MHz makes that much of a difference?

12. DylanC thread starter macrumors newbie

what do you guys think about getting a macbook pro from ebay? i think i could get one pretty cheap by january and dont they come with like 8600GT graphics cards? which are pretty good IMO

13. velvetelvis macrumors 6502

velvetelvis

14. triddent222 macrumors regular

*I* wouldn't do it. eBay is nice for cheaper stuff, but the risks of being scammed are way too great for me to spend on something as pricey as a MBP. What kind of games are you planning to run anyways ?

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I don't think that a game (however fun it still is to play) from ~2001 qualifies as "intensive." ;)
    Craigslist can be a good idea because you can see the notebook before you buy it by meeting up with the seller.

16. DylanC thread starter macrumors newbie

Im planning to run Team fortress 2 and Warhammer online: age of reckoning when it comes out, both on bootcamp obviously. i think the 8600 card the pros come with should be enough to handle my games thats why i want one :)

The thing with ebay is, if its a scam i can contact paypal and ebay and just get my money back and find a different one. anyone bought off ebay? or just have any more thoughts about buying from them?

ty:apple:

17. Alexbx macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!!

I'm planning on installing Warhammer-online, age of reckoning on my next laptop. Also I'd like it to be a Macbook.
    Will I be able to have a good quality of game, if I run it on the cheapest MacBook Pro? :)
    Or do I need to go to the higher and more expensive level? :eek: