MacBook Questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by snapper64, Mar 20, 2008.

1. snapper64 macrumors regular

Hi,

I am considering buying a new MacBook 2.4GHz (White) and have a few queries. My current laptop has a 15.4" wide screen and im just wondering how noticeable the smaller screen size of the MacBook will be? Has anyone else gone from a larger laptop to the MacBook, if so how have you found the change?

Also, I have been looking for a suitable case for the laptop and have found one quite cheap. It's called "Crumpler The Gimp" laptop sleeve, has anyone purchased one of these? Are they any good? I'm really just after something to protect the laptop from scratches.

Finally, is gaming a realist prospect with the MacBook? My current laptop which is an Acer TravelMate 8103WLMi with an Pentium M 750 1.86 GHz processor which managed to run S.T.A.L.K.E.R very well (i did upgrade the ram to 2gb). Can I expect a similar performance with the MacBook which has a much higher spec ?

Thanks,

Charlie

2. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

When I went from a 15.4" screen to a 13.3" it was noticeable at the beginning but I got used to it pretty quick and I'm sure you would too if you were getting a macbook instead of having and Acer. I cannot comment on the case/sleeve. About games - you can run some games as long as they're not on high settings. I'm not sure about new one like Call of Duty 4 but put them on low to maybe medium settings and most regular ones will look fine. Hope everything works!

3. nick9191 macrumors 68040

The screen is smaller however they will likely have the same resolution which means the macbook picture is better quality.

The 13" macbook is considerably smaller than the 15.4" you have and so will likely have worse graphics, maybe not, what graphics do you have? The macbook uses the Intel X3100 onboard graphics. Oh and to play S.T.A.L.K.E.R you need to install Windows via bootcamp.

The minimum specs for the game is a GeForce 5700 or a Radeon 9200, first thing I'd do is up the graphics in Windows to the max 344mb or whatever it is.