Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darthdarragh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
heya everyone
i was wondering if my macbook C2D bought in mid 2007 would be able to be upgraded to 4 GB of Ram i know the more recent ones can, but would it destroy my mac book if i did install 4 gigs of ram?

and on another note shall i just go for macbook pro and forget about the RAM issue.

both answers would be appreciated!

cheers guys

gregory H

blakintosh

macrumors member
May 26, 2008
but would it destroy my mac book if i did install 4 gigs of ram?

nope, your mac just would not recognize it and will recognize only the ram it can handle. It is most likely it can have 4 gigs of ram but if it doesn't it will only show up as 3 gigs.

hope this helps

macDonalds

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2007
The max is 3gb. I just went out tonight and picked up a 2gig stick and my Macbook flys. Max it out!

JNB

macrumors 604
My mid-2007 2.16 has, shows, and acts in every way I can see that it's got 4GB (Activity Monitor, System Info, iStat, all of it sees all 4GB). I know that only 3.3 is supposed to be addressable, but I haven't seen anything yet that indicates a "missing" 700MB. Worst case, I spent $80 for 3.3GB, and no problems. Loading up as much as I could (about 25 or so apps simultaneously), I showed about 3.6GB used at one point.

So, I guess the answer is, you can load 4GB into it, and it won't create any problems, but you may not be able to access it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.