Macbook RAM capacity

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by darthdarragh, May 31, 2008.

1. darthdarragh macrumors newbie

heya everyone
    i was wondering if my macbook C2D bought in mid 2007 would be able to be upgraded to 4 GB of Ram i know the more recent ones can, but would it destroy my mac book if i did install 4 gigs of ram?

and on another note shall i just go for macbook pro and forget about the RAM issue.

both answers would be appreciated!

cheers guys

gregory H

2. blakintosh macrumors member

nope, your mac just would not recognize it and will recognize only the ram it can handle. It is most likely it can have 4 gigs of ram but if it doesn't it will only show up as 3 gigs.

hope this helps

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Welcome to MacRumors

If you check under the Guides tab at the top, you will find Guides written for this and many other commonly asked questions

Guides : Hardware : Understanding Intel Mac RAM

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

5. macDonalds macrumors 6502

The max is 3gb. I just went out tonight and picked up a 2gig stick and my Macbook flys. Max it out!

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

My mid-2007 2.16 has, shows, and acts in every way I can see that it's got 4GB (Activity Monitor, System Info, iStat, all of it sees all 4GB). I know that only 3.3 is supposed to be addressable, but I haven't seen anything yet that indicates a "missing" 700MB. Worst case, I spent $80 for 3.3GB, and no problems. Loading up as much as I could (about 25 or so apps simultaneously), I showed about 3.6GB used at one point.

So, I guess the answer is, you can load 4GB into it, and it won't create any problems, but you may not be able to access it.

7. xxjuicymintxx macrumors regular

I believe 3GB is the max that it will tolerate.