MacBook RAM corrosion?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SkydiveGuy, Dec 12, 2007.

1. SkydiveGuy macrumors regular

I recently purchased a Santa Rosa MacBook (white 2.2GHz) and upgraded the ram to 4GB total.
    I did this at 2 different times.
    I used the macbook as it shipped with 2 x 512MB chips for a week... then upgraded the one in slot 0/0 to 2GB and left the one in slot 1/1 as 512MB (2.5GB total) when I removed the stock 512 chip... i noticed the pins on this chip appeared to be corroded a bit... or at least it looked like it was... the gold pins were covered in a white color.
    I decided to upgrade the other chip today and when I removed it... it looked the same way as the other one.

Is this normal, does Apple put some kind of chemical on the pins for better contact or something (so their tech's can tell when the user has removed the ram if there is a warrantee issue)? Or is this a problem?
    :confused:

2. Surely Guest

Surely

Normal.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It's a lithium-based grease used to help fit the RAM in the slot (more) easily...completely normal.

4. ComputerXpert macrumors newbie

thanks for the posts

I just upgraded my memory last night. I have one of the first mac books and yes I found the same thing on my ram. Usually corrosion that looks like that is caused by water seepage, but I couldn't figure out how water got through.. so I thought I would check. Thanks again for the posts, this put my mind at ease.