Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bc008

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
I was wondering if the below upgrades were correct for my Late 2008 aluminum macbook. I am upgrading the RAM to 4GB and upgrading the HD to 500GB.

Is the RAM the correct type? I am assuming it is because OWC's site is pretty easy to navigate, but I want to make sure before I order.

Also, I have been reading that WD is probably the most reliable/purchased HD option. Do you agree? I only have about 100GB on my current HD, but plan to install Windows 7 soon and have at least another 70-100GB Windows partition on the HD.

Also, about the enclosure I purchased: Would it be safe for day to day time machine backups? It doesn't look like it has the best cooling, but I dont know much about external enclosures.

Finally: What screwdriver will I need to access the RAM in my Unibody? This is the model with the removable HD so that will be very easy, but I am under the impression you must take off the whole back panel to access the RAM slots?

Attachments

• 1111basket.jpg
    1111basket.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 88

jpyc7

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I think everything you picked is all right, but I noticed that you picked an enclosure with just USB. I assume you are going to take the original HD and put it into the enclosure and then put the 500 GB HD into the MBP.

Anyway, since you don't have Firewire for your enclosure, you might not be able to boot from it (on the Mac OS side). Obviously, you don't actually need to boot from ext HD, but it may come in handy some day too. Of course, FW is also faster than USB 2.0 which would be another reason to consider getting FW.

bc008

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
I think everything you picked is all right, but I noticed that you picked an enclosure with just USB. I assume you are going to take the original HD and put it into the enclosure and then put the 500 GB HD into the MBP.

Anyway, since you don't have Firewire for your enclosure, you might not be able to boot from it (on the Mac OS side). Obviously, you don't actually need to boot from ext HD, but it may come in handy some day too. Of course, FW is also faster than USB 2.0 which would be another reason to consider getting FW.

I dont have a firewire port ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.