Macbook: Ram & hdd upgrade!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by desiGod, Feb 19, 2013.

1. desiGod macrumors newbie

Was looking for solutions with regards to upgrading my RAM for my late 2007 macbook 2,1. Its pre-installed 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM with 1GB split into 2- 512Mb chips for each slot.

If you can help out with the recommended memory upgrade and the instructions for slots and sizes would highly appreciate it.

Also I have just ordered a WD Scorpio Blue 500 Gb LPVT for my 80 Gb pre-installment replacement. I was told that the macbook model that i am using can only be upgraded till 250Gb. Is it true or this is just apple being apple?

2. Weerez935 macrumors regular

Owc is my favorite vendor for these things.
    Www.macsales.com

Here are the ram upgrades for your macbook 2,1.

Owc sells a 4gb ram kit for 60$ which is the max your machine will take but still pretty good for today's standards.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/MacBook/DDR2/

For an ssd here are owcs offerings:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/

I'm not sure which you will need but an ssd will cut your load times in half and a terabyte external or networked drive would be cheap to compensate for the smaller storage.

3. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Max RAM is 3.2 or 3.3 GB. Install a 2X2GB pair to take advantage of the dual channel RAM.

OWC is good but overpriced. Buy this $46.99 G.Skill set from Newegg with free shipping.

There's no GB limit on the HDD.

Check Activity monitor to look at your page outs and to see how much available RAM there is. Check to see your CPU usage. If your CPU is running at 100% all the time it will be hot. You can also install iStat Pro and set the advanced memory. Take a look at how many page outs you have after a day or two of normal use. If you are paging out, it means you need more RAM. If you don't have enough RAM most processes "page out" to the HDD. Since the HDD is extremely slow (5400 RPM) it can become overcome and is working hard all the time.