Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B-Line

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2006
I just recieved some new RAM for my macbook today. When trying to remove the L-shaped bracket to access the RAM slots, I cannot remove one screw (the one furthest away from the bend in the l bracket). Two of the screw required a minimal amount of torque to loosen, but the final one is crazy. I am using a philips #00 screwdriver. Does anyone have any suggestions what to do? I live 2 hours away from an apple dealer (I will not take it to best buy). I really dont want to strip the screwhead!

thanks

coledog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2006
Roanoke, VA
Hmm, toughy...I know I used eyeglass repair screwdrivers. They're probably about the same size as the one you're using.

I would suggest to keep trying...but nice and easy.
Good luck!

BlackMax

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2007
North Carolina
I've found that the #00 phillips I purchased at Sears doesn't always work very well, but another technical phillips I picked up at CompUSA does. So one suggestion would be to try another screwdriver. The proper fitting phillips head will make all the difference.

Sometimes when I've encountered a particularly stubborn screw I'll lightly tap the screwdriver with a wrench while it is seated in the screw. This seems to help break the screw loose and it also ensures the phillips head is seated properly in the screw before I apply downward pressure and turn the screwdriver gently.

Just be sure to take your time, be patient and try not to force it too much. Eventually it will break loose.

unixfool

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2006
East Coast
I just recieved some new RAM for my macbook today. When trying to remove the L-shaped bracket to access the RAM slots, I cannot remove one screw (the one furthest away from the bend in the l bracket). Two of the screw required a minimal amount of torque to loosen, but the final one is crazy. I am using a philips #00 screwdriver. Does anyone have any suggestions what to do? I live 2 hours away from an apple dealer (I will not take it to best buy). I really dont want to strip the screwhead!

thanks

Try backing out the screws equally...turn one a few times, then turn the next one the same amount, then do the next...keep doing it until they're out. I think I remember having the same issue.

heySparky

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2007
Oregon
I had the same problem with one screw. I tried alternating loosing then slightly tightening it until I got the thread lock crap they put on the screw to break loose. I did end up severely damaging the screw head so I used my dremel tool and cut a slot in the head.

Good luck.

gavd

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2006
I ended up using pliers to turn the screwdriver as it gave me more leverage. Worked fine.

B-Line

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2006
Ya, the screw isn't striped yet, and I really dont want to resort to using a dremel tool. I am going to try to find another screw driver. I am having a tought time finding a philips #00 with a short handle. I have seen a #000, maybe it would work better. Thanks everyone for replying:)

gavd

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2006
I use this "trick" all the time. This way I can focus on downforce with one hand and turning the screwdriver with the other.

I find myself doing this quite often now, but it took me a while of struggling to undo a tight screw before I thought of it!

B-Line

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2006
Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. I finally got the cover off and after that it was smooth sailing. WOW 2 gb of ram is awesome for parallels :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.