Macbook ram memory question!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VaDor, Aug 13, 2007.

1. VaDor macrumors regular

VaDor

Hi,

In apple site they say that "PC2-5300); two SO-DIMM slots support up to 2GB".

I am a little confuse this is 2GB for EACH slot (so I can achieve 4gb in total) or max 1GB EACH slot (so I can achieve 2gb in total) ?

2. yukon0013 macrumors regular

yukon0013

Yeah its up to 2 GB total... people have been putting two 2gbs in and been able to use like 3.3 gb on their macbooks.

3. kolax macrumors G3

3.3GB is the maximum amount of RAM the MacBook can address. This is limited due to the CPU, nothing else.

4. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

Hi,
    I've come across this article on TUAW and was wondering:
    does it make sense to put in 2*2GB RAM in your Macbook? Will it work? or is the best setup to use 2*1GB RAMs? If you say max. is 3.3GB is it hypothetically possible to put in one 2GB RAM and 1GB RAM without any conflicts? Would appreciate any replies.
    On a side note: I have the MB C2D 2Ghz with Superdrive (the version before the latest update)

byakuya

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

See the Guide on this subject

VaDor: Apple's official specification is 2 Gb total (2 x 1 Gb SODIMMs)

KM: Not limited by the CPU as such -- limited by the memory controller on the motherboard.

By and YK: 3.3 is usable on Core2Duo Macbooks and MacBook Pros. CoreDuos are limited to 2 Gb. MBP and iMac C2D Santa Rosas can take the full 4 Gb

On Core2Duos, you can install 1 Gb + 2 Gb, or 2 Gb + 2 Gb. The 4 Gb (really 3.3 Gb) install gives you as 6% - 8% advantage in average speed because of Dual Channel Memory access, but costs more, obviously.