Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Installed the 1gb ADATA stick from the same eBay seller works like a charm.....faultless and i've been testing my MB out, great deal highly reccomended for £40!!!

ShadoW

erickg

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2004
shadowmoses said:
Installed the 1gb ADATA stick from the same eBay seller works like a charm.....faultless and i've been testing my MB out, great deal highly reccomended for £40!!!

ShadoW

Great... thanks for posting! I've got two gigs on the way... :D

storage

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2005
As soon as I get my money refunded I'm ordering my MacBook and 2 GB of the A-Data stuff, great :).

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Balli said:
I have to thank you guys sooo much. You just saved me around £170!

Yup I think we all saved a lot of £££, anyway quick update been using the MacBook with the ADATA Ram for 2 days now pushing it with gaming in Boot Camp and mostly a lot of multi-tasking in OS X and no problems *touch wood*

ShadoW

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
Good for Macbook Pro?

I'm assuming this ram off eBay is good for the Macbook Pro too? Looks like the spec of RAM for both machines is the same.

Has anyone tried any in a Macbook Pro?

Cheers
Steve

majorp

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2005
UK !!!
nomad01 said:
I'm assuming this ram off eBay is good for the Macbook Pro too? Looks like the spec of RAM for both machines is the same.

Has anyone tried any in a Macbook Pro?

Cheers
Steve

works perfectly with my macbook pro.

sockwars

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2006
Finland
Matching sticks?

I have been reading this thread and a few people have been buying just one 1GB stick and using it with one of the smaller 256MB sticks from Apple. But then some people have been saying that everything will work best when the RAM sticks match... I can only really get one 1GB stick at the moment (student :)) but with the plan to buy another one in the next few months.... Is that safe/a good way to go?

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
sockwars said:
I have been reading this thread and a few people have been buying just one 1GB stick and using it with one of the smaller 256MB sticks from Apple. But then some people have been saying that everything will work best when the RAM sticks match... I can only really get one 1GB stick at the moment (student :)) but with the plan to buy another one in the next few months.... Is that safe/a good way to go?

Thats exactly what I have done I am using one 1gb stick and one of the original 256mb sticks that was supplied with the laptop, the MacBook is running great, Matching the RAM is better but it doesn't make too much difference from what I've heard...

So basically just get the 1gb stick for now and if you need it get another later on.

ShadoW

sgd88

macrumors member
May 16, 2006
Ok. I thought it was all working out ok but then my hard disk became errorsome, and I have since had to reformat it. I don't know if this was at all affected by the 1 GB RAM from eBay. I tried the RAM back in the machine after the reformat and it was definately faulty. I couldn't play QuickTime movies and a load of other stuff.

So I am back on the 512 MB, I will probably buy more expensive RAM next time.

majorp

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2005
UK !!!
sgd88 said:
Ok. I thought it was all working out ok but then my hard disk became errorsome, and I have since had to reformat it. I don't know if this was at all affected by the 1 GB RAM from eBay. I tried the RAM back in the machine after the reformat and it was definately faulty. I couldn't play QuickTime movies and a load of other stuff.

sorry to here that, i hope mine doesn't tweak out. maybe this was the mismatched pairs thing?

ADS

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2006
Sunny South Coast
Waiting.......

Got two 1GB Corsair value select sticks from scan.co.uk. Now just need MacBook to put them in! Its coming Friday! I'll let you know how they are.

In the meantime I also upgraded my eMac and iBook with the same ram. All working fine so far. Cost approx £120 for 2GB + £7 for next day delivery.

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
ADS said:
Got two 1GB Corsair value select sticks from scan.co.uk. Now just need MacBook to put them in! Its coming Friday! I'll let you know how they are.

In the meantime I also upgraded my eMac and iBook with the same ram. All working fine so far. Cost approx £120 for 2GB + £7 for next day delivery.

Scan.co.uk are lovely people. If you buy enough from them in one go, they throw in something free (if you ask nicely enough).

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
Why don't you just buy the RAM from apple?

(hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha<breathe>hahahahahahahahaha)

TBR

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2004
Blackpool - England
scan

I've also bought 2gig corsair from scan.co.uk, i've always found them to be good people to deal with. I'd also rather pay a reasonable price for ram that I believe would be reliable than some imported stuff, but thats just me.

I've just got to wait now for the machine to arrive!!! Roll on friday!

I'm so excited it's like christmas. I know I'm a sad sad puppy, but I don't care!

yellowmunky

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2006
Hi TBR,

I am also concerned about getting imported RAM. For 2 x 1GB @ 80 seems a bargain but it may have issues further down the line.

Can you give me the exact link of the RAM bought from scan.co.uk.

Is it currently the best choice of RAM for reliability and price in the UK for MB and MBP's?

Thanks,

andym172

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
UK
Have just installed the 2 x 1gb sticks of ADATA RAM (purchased from flashman852 on eBay) and everything appears to be going as expected (read: FAST!).

What's the best way to test the new RAM?

Hobbit

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2005
sgd88 said:

Your warning is a bit too late :( i've already ordered a 1GB stick from ebay and it's on the way...are u sure it's the RAM that was faulty? and anyidea what the problem was?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
yellowmunky said:
Hi TBR,

I am also concerned about getting imported RAM. For 2 x 1GB @ 80 seems a bargain but it may have issues further down the line.

Is it currently the best choice of RAM for reliability and price in the UK for MB and MBP's?

Thanks,

link to scan RAM. Is it the best price AND reliability? How can we possibly answer that!

TBR

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2004
Blackpool - England
scan

yellowmunky said:
Hi TBR,

Thanks,

Erm..it's on scan.co.uk somewhere, I didn't get it online I got it from the bricks and morter shop, a friend of mine bought it as he works close by.

I don't know about it being the 'best' choice but my friend recommends it and he knows his stuff.

yellowmunky

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2006
thanks for the exact link robbieduncan and also thanks TBR for your comments.

the scan ram seems a bargain when compared to crucial or orcalogic.

hopefully they will work hassle free in the macbook.

thanks again,

erickg

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2004
I just installed my 2 gigs of ADATA ram from ebay.co.uk (flashman852) and it works like a charm. Very happy with it. :D I ran it though the hardware test and extended hardware test and it came up okay... so no problems here so far. The only tough part was the actual pushing in of the RAM modules... you really have to apply a lot of pressure!!

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
I posted the link to the memory you need on scan earlier in the thread.

TBi said:
That dabs link is for normal desktop DIMM's and not SO-DIMMs needed for the intel Mac's

These corsair ones are the right size and corsair is a reputable company. I have corsair value ram in my Mini and i've never had a problem with it. If i knew about this before i bought the crucial ram i would have bought this.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
yellowmunky said:
thanks for the exact link robbieduncan and also thanks TBR for your comments.

the scan ram seems a bargain when compared to crucial or orcalogic.

hopefully they will work hassle free in the macbook.

thanks again,

A friend of mine is running 2Gb of it in his MacBook without issue.

Tinlad

macrumors member
May 1, 2006
Nottingham, UK
I bought a 1GB stick from Scan.co.uk. I got a bit worried because I read that some people were having issues with it in MBPs. It arrived, put it in alongside the original 512MB stick, OS X flies now. It's passed three tests by Memtest OS X, so I'm convinced that it's fine :)

I'll be buying another 1GB stick soon, if all goes to plan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.