Macbook RAM problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ceezy3000, Mar 22, 2009.

1. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

well i just recently picked up 4gbs of ddr2 ram for my previous gen macbook. so i took out the battery and started unscrewing the screws, the first one was no prob, the middle one gave me some problems so i went to the third, no prob there either i went back to middle and noticed the screw was worn out a bit, (i bought it refurb) ive tried and tried but i just mad it worse, any aadvice
    thanks

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Get a screw driver one size bigger than the size the screw head is and press with a fair amount of pressure to prevent slipping.

If you're feeling REALLY ballsy, you could always tap it out with a reverse threaded drill screw extractor, but I'd be scared to do that on a laptop

3. JimPlante macrumors newbie

If worst comes to very worst, and you just can't get that screw out any other way, you can try cutting the head off the screw, like so:

Using one of the other screws as a guide, select a drill bit that is slightly larger than the screw shank. Drill into the center of the stripped screw just until the bit cuts the head off. Then STOP! Remove the metal strip, and get hold of the screw body with small needle-nose or a small hemostat and remove it.

Put a strip of double-faced tape in the bottom of the battery compartment before doing this. It will catch and hold any metal particles produced by your drilling.

Again, let me emphasize that this is a desperation measure when all else has failed and you're out of ideas.

4. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

If the OP stripped the screw with a screwdriver do you really think he's gonna feel comfortable grinding screws off and drilling holes???
    I think this is something bad getting ready to get WORSE!

5. HockeyGuy macrumors member

The same thing happened to me in the past. I "stripped" the screw and didn't know what to do next. I ended up taking my laptop to Best Buy (Geek Squad), and they were able to fix the problem and install the RAM for me. It cost me about $40 total for them to install it, much cheaper than Apple charges.