Macbook/RAM Question.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macnator, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Macnator macrumors 6502

Hey everyone. I just got a new Macbook(black) yesterday, (love it). Anyway I have 1GB of ram. I downloaded Google Earth, and it is laggy. Im going to be installing 4GB of RAM this coming week, I was wondering if having 4GB of RAM will stop Google Earth from lagging. I think that Google Earth is a bit of a resource hog. So will 4GB of RAM stop Google Earth from lagging?

Thanks.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

The lagging probably has a lot to do with your internet connection too, although more RAM never hurts.

3. Macnator thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, does anyone else have an opinion?:confused:

Could it be the Graphics card - GMA X31OO? that is causing the poor performance?

4. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Works great for me, and I have the same hardware as you. Then again, I've got a pretty good internet connection.

5. Macnator thread starter macrumors 6502

hmmm

Well. Im using a wireless internet connection. I have full signal strength (at least the Airport symbol says so) but all the web pages open instantly.... so im not sure

6. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Google earth streams all the data off the net, so any data slowdowns and it'll be jumpy.

But with only 1GB, you might be running low, too. Use Activity Monitor to see how much free you have while running Google Earth.

7. Macnator thread starter macrumors 6502

ok..

How do I enable Activity Monitor (i am new to macs) thanks

8. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Type in spotlight (top right of your screen, looks like a magnifying glass) Activity Monitor. Click on it.