Macbook RAM slot busted . . . what to expect from apple care

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cmezak, Feb 5, 2008.

1. cmezak macrumors member

Hey all,

macbook1,1
    leopard 10.5.1
    160gb
    . . .

My macbook's trouble started out of the blue last week with random shutdowns and translucent screens of death. Sometimes it wouldn't boot. The power led came on, but nothing on the display. Once in a while I got the three beeps on bootup that signal a memory issue. I removed one of the RAM modules and the machine booted up perfectly.

I naively assumed that it was defective memory causing the trouble, but when I inserted some newly bought RAM, the same problem occurs. I've tried switching the modules around (I have 3 512mb ones, now. :eek:), but it seems that I simply cannot have anything in that slot or else the macbook will not boot.

I called applecare today and they're sending a box out to me so I can have it repaired (glad I bought apple care when I bought the machine).

Here are my questions:

1) Is there anything I might try to fix this before sending the macbook out? I am rather dependent on it for schoolwork and am not looking forward to being without it.
    2) What are the implications of this problem for the computer? Is it something for which the motherboard might have to be replaced? And
    3) If the motherboard does have to be replaced, will I receive a new macbook? Or at least a new macbook motherboard?

Thanks, all.

- Charlie Mezak

2. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

If it is a broken RAM slot there is nothing you can do to repair it short of what Apple will do which would be to open up the machine and service it.

The RAM slots are not connected to the logic board. At worst they might replace the RAM socket itself.

It likely won't affect your situation but when Apple replaces a logic board they do so with the exact same part that is faulty. Obviously they will not replace an entire computer just for a bad logic board if none of the other components are bad and they will NEVER replace components with newer/upgraded parts.

Their warranty is to replace or repair not improve.

Good luck. I think your best bet is to send it off and just let Apple sort it out.