MacBook RAM upgrade options

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jent, Feb 20, 2011.

1. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

I have the 2.0GHz white MacBook (MacBook2,1) upgraded to 2GB of RAM. I read the thread saying I can kick it up to 3GB, and I'd like to go that route. The problem is, I've found a lot of options online and the prices are largely different. Can anyone help me find competitively priced RAM from a respectable memory manufacturer (2 x 2GB)? I wouldn't want to end up buying RAM that is more expensive if there's no need. Thanks!

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

You can buy 2x2 GB or 1x2 GB and 1x1 GB. There's not a huge benefit to putting 4 GB RAM in a machine that only does 3 GB RAM.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I've bought my mem sticks for my 3 Macs from OWC and have worked great.

4. schpongo macrumors member

If u plan on upgrading ur MP some time down the road i would suggest a 4gb stick of ram so u can put that one in the new mac.

5. jent thread starter macrumors 6502a

jent

Can the late 2006 MacBook even support a single stick of 4GB? It tops out, from what I understand at recognizing 3.2GB of unmatched RAM and 3.3GB of matched RAM. If I'm wrong, please do correct me, but that is what MacRumors users have told me in previous threads.

6. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

It looks like the MacBook late 2006 only supports 2 GB RAM through the Mac OS, but it will accept 3.0 GB of RAM physically. So I would take an educated guess here and say no it wont show a 4Gb stick as 4 GB it will show it as 2 GB max and another stick as 1 GB to make a total of 3GB.

Heres a really good program to help you with upgrading any Mac computer http://www.mactracker.ca/ It has a great database of every model of Apple computer, and its updated frequently.

As for RAM, Ram Jet is a good company, and they offer (and honor) a lifetime warranty on all their RAM. if it goes bad you just let them know and they will replace them free. You can find them here. http://ramjet.com/

Always always wear a anti-static wristband when working inside any computer regardless of what someone else says!!!!!

Attached Files:

7. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Not all RAM is made equal. For one thing, the OP's MacBook can't take a single 4 GB stick. For another, all current Macs use DDR3 memory, and the OP's MacBook uses DDR2 memory, both slower and physically incompatible.

It's a nice idea, but an unfortunately impossible one.

8. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

A little misleading. OS X isn't the determining factor here, the hardware is. Apple lists the max RAM as 2 GB, while 3 GB is the true max. OS X will see both just fine.