MacBook RAM upgrade query

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by allan_zip, Jun 28, 2008.

1. allan_zip macrumors regular

allan_zip

Ok so i've had a search but am still a little unsure about the max amount of RAM i can put in my MacBook (mid 2007).
    Apple says the max is 2gb but am i right in thinking that i can put in 4gb?
    Or, if i understand it correctly, the MacBook cannot use all 4gb of the RAM, can i put in 3gb? I'm curious about this option as i thought the MacBook had to have the same configuration of RAM in each slot, am i wrong?
    Hope someone can clear this up for me, i've got 1gb in at the moment but i'm gonna upgrade this week and want to make the right purchase.

2. bmms8 macrumors 68020

3.25 is the max on your macbook. you can put a 2X2 gb sticks and achieve that, or put a 1gb and a 2gb stick for 3.0 total. good luck.

i purchased 2X1 gb sticks when i got my macbook. i know do think it was the wrong thing to do. i should have purchased a 2gb stick so i can always upgrade later.

3. allan_zip thread starter macrumors regular

allan_zip

Thanks for the quick reply and clearing that up.
    I think i'll go for the full 2x2 sticks if that's the case then.

4. Tibs066 macrumors member

Ram Question

Im sorry to piggy back on your post but i have a 2.0 core duo and apple says i can do 2 max but got 2X2gig from a coworker. Can i max out at 4 also?
    Thanks Brian

5. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i always thought the lowest for a core 2 duo was 3.25. you can put in the 2X2 and see what the system reads after you boot up. just click on about this mac. good luck.