macbook ram? where to buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by maudioguitarris, Jun 7, 2009.

1. maudioguitarris macrumors newbie

hey guys i have a black macbook - 2.16 ghz intel core 2 duo. memory 1 gb 667 mhz ddr2 sdram. mac osx 10.5.6

is there any other info i need to supply you guys with so you recommend me the memory compatible with my macbook?

and whats the best brand of rams for the macbook ... in summary, which one do you recommend and how much should i add? what else can i buy to improve the macbooks performance (aside from a hd).. is there a way i can improve the ghz? and yes im a noob when it comes to computer parts. i would appreciate your help so much.

oh btw im looking for a place online to buy, ive heard of newegg.com. so id appreciate a link to the recommended ram so i can but it tonight.

2. youssefm macrumors 6502

Hi =D
    For the ghz, that is the processor, which you cannot change, it will always remain 2.16ghz. For the ram, go to http://www.crucial.com and use the scanner, and it will determine the type of ram you can buy, the maximum you can buy, and how much it is. You can find the type of ram you need from that website, and search for it somewhere else such as newegg.com

3. maudioguitarris thread starter macrumors newbie

wow thank you so much dude. :) awesome!

4. bjquach macrumors 6502

5. RDM3 macrumors regular

6. RDM3 macrumors regular

I like Best Buy too, but for example my white macbook had 1gb RAM, to get it at Best Buy was somewhere around $100, ouch, I paid $45 shipped from Newegg.comand the instll is so easy, don't let Best Buy charge you $40 to do it

7. maudioguitarris thread starter macrumors newbie

ok so if i check those two websites out... what brand of memory should i buy? are there any bad brands (cheap ones) that i should avoid? i just want to buy the best available.. i'm looking for 2 sticks of 1gb each. or should i go for 4gb? but i heard that 4gb wont show their true power due to my macbooks capacity? any help would be appreciated thanks.

8. RDM3 macrumors regular

I am not sure what your total capacity is, but there are ways to check, I am sure someone will chime in soon, but I got mine from Newegg.com and I got Kingston, which is a good brand, but it is also "Mac Approved', here is a link right to the Mac Approved section....

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=551&name=Mac-Memory

I would suggest maxing it out for sure. To see the 4gb sticks just hit more under Capacity on the left side of that webpage

9. maudioguitarris thread starter macrumors newbie

lol, i like the attitude. i feel like maxing it out too. :D

thank you for your help dude. i always like to ask before i buy to feel good. checking that link out!

10. maudioguitarris thread starter macrumors newbie

11. maudioguitarris thread starter macrumors newbie

oookay it said on the page about my macbook:

Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-5300 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.*

*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

12. maudioguitarris thread starter macrumors newbie

13. RDM3 macrumors regular

14. maudioguitarris thread starter macrumors newbie

it says Apple Notebook though... are they compatible with a macbook?

15. RDM3 macrumors regular