Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adonzil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
My sister has a MacBook from 2009. (Its the 13" Late 2008 Model)

Here is the Model she has: Its This One

I bought her more RAM for it. (Im 99.9% sure it is the right kind/speed etc. ITs Corsair 1066 MHz etc etc)

I bought 2x4GBs instead of 2x2GBs. Can I use just one 4GB stick? and leave the other slot open? I know its a dumb question, but I DO know that this model will only support 4GBs.

Any info would be helpful. Im not 100% about Macs so pointing out the obvious might be helpful.

Thanks!!
Adon

adonzil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
So should I install both the 4GB sticks right now? And it will simply recognize 6GB?

Or should I install 1 4GB chip, and leave one of the 1 GBs in?

Or just install 1 4GB chip and nothing else?

Thanks
Adon

Nov 28, 2010
located
So should I install both the 4GB sticks right now? And it will simply recognize 6GB?

Or should I install 1 4GB chip, and leave one of the 1 GBs in?

Or just install 1 4GB chip and nothing else?

Thanks
Adon

Do these questions mean, that following the link I provided, has provided answers, but that you don't want to do the necessary steps?

Anyway, you can combine the modules however you want. If you install both 4 GB sticks, it will at least recognise as 6 GB.

adonzil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
I appreciate the help...but not the sarcasm. I am a rookie when it comes to Macs and dont wanna fry anything that doesn't belong to me.

I did follow the link, but it does not tell me if I can mix and match. I am going to install the 8GB. Thanks for clearing that all up for me.

Thanks again
Adon

Nov 28, 2010
located
I appreciate the help...but not the sarcasm. I am a rookie when it comes to Macs and dont wanna fry anything that doesn't belong to me.
It was not meant as sarcasm, just as honest question.
And you won't fry the Mac updating its firmware, if it hasn't been updated already.
But 6 GB is at least thrice as much as 2 GB.

adonzil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
I just upgraded her laptop to Snow Leopard. Should I update the software before I install the RAM?

Also, is there a different process to upgrading the firmware?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.