MacBook Ram

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tumeg101, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Tumeg101 macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

I have decided, when I get my macbook, I want to get it with 2gb ram, instead of 1, but after reading the forums, and about other people that are going to, or have done this same thing, I can't decide which to do:

a) Buy the laptop, with the 1 gig ram, then buy a $45, 1gb stick of ram and add it to the 1 that is already there (Have heard this might not have as much effect as if I bought it with 2)
    b) Buy the laptop, but have apple add the extra gig, and spend $175, instead of $45...

So, idk if I should save $130 and do it myself, which might not have as much effect as it would if they added it(not sure if this is true, I have only read this once)
    Or, not save any money, and have them do it right...

2. john2006wright macrumors regular

MB comes with 2x512 and they're are two slots. to get 2gb, you'd need to buy 2x1gb sticks.
    I think this is correct but feel free to check it out.

3. mwxiao macrumors regular

Since you have 2x512M in you MacBook, it'll end up with 1.5gb if you just buy 1gb RAM.

I just bought the 1gb RAM MacBook. And then I bought a 2gb kit RAM from Frys yesterday for $45 AR. I think the deal ends today.

It's easy to install RAM in MacBook. I don't see why you should spend $175 on it.

4. john2006wright macrumors regular

did you buy the exact same ram (brand) as what was in your mb?
    thanks

5. Tumeg101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

Ohhh... I get it now, thank you very much,
    so I geuss I will just get this http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4789099 when I get my macbook, and upgrade it with this...

Thanks,

6. mwxiao macrumors regular

No. i bought Crucial RAM.

7. mwxiao macrumors regular

8. Tumeg101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

9. SugarMice macrumors newbie

Ram

so...What's the right RAM module for the Macbook? I'm getting the MB with 1GB of ram but I'm planning to upgrade it to 2GB by the end of the year, i don't want to have 1.5GB, apple recommends to have an equal amount of memmory on both slots so...:confused:

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I wouldn't sweat it too much as more RAM is better than matched RAM.

http://eshop.macsales.com/Reviews/MacBook/Testing/Memory_Benchmarks

You need 200pin SODIMM DDR-667 (PC2 5300)

11. love4china macrumors newbie

Keep your original ram

Not sure if this advice really will apply to you. I own a Powerbook G4 which originally had 512 Ram. I purchaced two sticks to replace the original two and now have 1G. (I live in China.) Anyway, when I went to reinstall ilife, unrelated to the ram issue, I got lots of messages saying that it would not install properply. It turns out that my Mac would only reinstall ilife if I put back in the original ram sticks that came with the computer. All the best.

12. SugarMice macrumors newbie

Thanks!

This is exactly what I needed to know! as soon as i can upgrade the ram, i will do it..:)

13. SugarMice macrumors newbie

Well, I don't know if that happens with macbooks, never heard that one before! i'll keep it mind:eek:

14. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

That is a complete anomaly -- unless some of your third party RAM was out of spec or defective. The Mac (and the software) really have no way of knowing the brand of the RAM that is in there and whether it was supplied by Apple.

All the machine can tell is the properties that the memory chip's SPD settings reads back as -- speed, capacity, density, latency, etc.