Macbook Ram

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dvince2, Nov 7, 2007.

1. dvince2 macrumors 6502

dvince2

Hey everyone!
    I apologize if this has already been asked... I searched the fourms, but didn't see anything.

I have a 2.0GHz CD Macbook, with 1GB of ram (x2 512 sticks). I'm looking to upgrade to 2GB+.
    Here's the question:
    I know that having two sticks work better than one of the same value (eg 2x1GB vs just 1 2GB).
    Would it be better to buy 2 1GB sticks for a total of 2GBs? or buy 1 2GB stick, and use one of my 512s to give me 2.5 total?

Thanks in advance!

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

the Core Duos can't address more than 2GB or RAM anyway.

This is one of the cases where in-line RAM makes a difference. 2x1GB will perform better than 1x2GB, because for the same amount of memory, the computer has twice as many pins to access it.

You'd be better off on all fronts to buy 2 1GB sticks (it's cheaper and it performs better)

3. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

yeah if im not mistaken its the c2d that can handle up to 3.3? gb of ram or take 2x2gb but only recognize so much

4. dvince2 thread starter macrumors 6502

dvince2

That makes sense... thanks!

Sucks about CDs only being able to address 2GB... I thought they had up to 4 :p

5. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

I'm skeptical. CDs in Macs might not be able to address more than 4gb, but I know they can address a lot more than that in, say, 64-bit windows. You should buy them in pairs, btw.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Errr... no. CoreDuo Macs are limited to 2 Gb by the hardware memory controller on the chipset. Has nothing to do with 64 bit or not.

Pairs are not actually mandatory. All Corex Macs can take mismatched RAM. There is a small speed benefit to matched RAM (6 % - 8%) and in the case of the OP's machine, 2 x 1 Gb only makes sense.

dvince: If you look at the top of the window, you'll see a tab called "Guides". In there are articles that cover modt frequently asked questions, including
    MR Guide to Understanding Intel Mac RAM

7. SkydiveGuy macrumors regular

What if I bought a new MacBook and took out 1 stick of RAM and put in 1x2GB (so it would be 1x512 and 1x2048 or 2.5GB total RAM)... is this going to significanly effect the performance.

I am going to buy another 1x2GB within 6 months to bring her up to 4GB total, just can not afford to right now.

8. dvince2 thread starter macrumors 6502

dvince2

9. RCGMac macrumors regular

I have a 2.16 GHz MB C2D (non-SR), I know it says the max RAM it can take is 3GB, but can it take 4GB? Was the 3 GB limit set b/c 2 GB chips were not as prevalent @ the time, similar to where the iBook's originally said 768 MB, but later you could use 1.25 GB in them? I have 1 GB in my MB now, and sometimes it seems to get bogged down.

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

MR Guide To Understanding Intel Mac RAM

Dang, I could have sworn that I saw that posted in this thread already...

Your machine is a CoreDuo. It does not support 2 Gb modules, just get the 2 x 1 Gb kit and be happy.

The performance increase from adding RAM is entirely dependent on what programs you are running. In general, your performance when you are multitasking programs, or using VMWare, Rosetta-based programs like Office, iPhoto if you have a lot of photos, and Photoshop, should all speed up noticeably.