Macbook RAM?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by applefan69, Jan 28, 2008.

1. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

Alright, im sorta on the fence on this question, hopefully you guys can lead me in the right direction. About 2 months ago i boguht a new Macbook... it's specs are:

2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo processor

1GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM.

My question is, im considering buying another gigabyte of RAM... so I have 2GB's (the maximum my macbook can handle)

I was perfectly happy wiht 1Gb of RAM to start... and i never thought I'd need 2GB.... but im using Leopard.. i find when first starting up my computer... and havin all my regular programs (iTunes, Adium,Safari,) running, I got about 500Mb free RAM.

But usually near the end of the day after using my computer for a long time, such as right now being an example of the end of the day here is my RAM situation (from iStat PRO widget)

Wired: 213MB
    Active: 522MB
    Inactive: 262MB
    Free: 18Mb
    Swap: 433/512MB

.... so you can see why I feel like im considering more RAM... now not sayin i have preformance issues, i see no slow down... it's just i dont like seeing that i only have 18Mb of free RAM.

So what do you say I do? If you go with me buying another GB, then what website(s) would you recommend?

Thanks to anyone who replies.

2. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

If you open more apps you will notice the free memory doesn't usually go below the 18 MB mark. I think OS X just utilizes any extra memory for background tasks.

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I believe the Core 2 Duo's can have 3GB of RAM.

The two big RAM websites are:

otherworldcomputing.com (my personal favorite)
    crucial.com

4. applefan69 thread starter macrumors 6502a

applefan69

then why is my swap memory so high...?

some days i see my swap being 712mb/1GB