Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thestaton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2006
We got my girlfriend a Core2Duo MacBook back in April. After the first boot I noticed that it had shutdown, and would not wake up or turn on until I removed the battery...

Fast forward a little over 2 months and the problem is still there. It's not as bad, but she still won't do any important work on it. So I scheduled an appointment with one of the arrogant geniuses in towson, md.

All he did was overload the cpu, to see if it would crash... I told him I've already did that. He then tried to repair permissions... Told him that had been taken care of. Then he leaves it to install the newest itunes... What a waste of time. After that he told me the only option was to leave it and allow them to do some "real world testing"... When I inquired what that meant, he told me they would just let it sit idle & perform apple diagnostic testing on it for 2 days. It if it did produce symptoms then they would format the drive... I told him I've already formatted it 3 times. The only software on it other than the base package is adium.

So after an hour of listening to this *****, he starts yelling at me and asking me "What do you want me to do"...

I told him I want the damn thing fixed. He said the only way they could do that was to do "real world testing"...

Now keep in mind I've read almost every forum, and read every log on google on how to fix this stupid thing. And it seems to me if you get a MacBook with the problem there is no fixing it.

So here's my solution:

Sell the DAMN THING! I'm not going to deal with any more hassles to the mall, no more arrogant geniuses, only for the end result. Apple will scratch the unit up, *they made a mess out of my macbook pro*. And from what I can tell there is no working fix.

All in all we will probably lose about 75 dollars. But that's worth dealing with the headache.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
If that solution works the best for you, then go for it.

Some other choices:

Call back and talk to the manager. They tend to be a little more sympathetic than some of the Geniuses, but I still wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to see the problem occur before they do anything.

Don't deal with the store at all and have AppleCare send you a box to send it back to them.

s0medevi1

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2008
still...

i just went in for this problem (1st gen macbook pro) and it shut down right in front of the genius. he took it and they went to replace the logic board (TGI AppleCare). the night i got it back it shut down again. Took it in yesterday and they are gonna test it, and try replacing the heat sink and a couple other things..hopefully it will finally end this

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.