Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benjaminmt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
I have a fairly old macbook, 2007, but am running Snow Leopard. Recently it has taken to randomly disconnecting from our house's WiFi network. The other computers in the house connect fine, but my MacBook sometime just disconnects and it shows an exclamation point over the WiFi bars in the top right corner. It then asks for the password, even though I have it set to connect automatically, then it never reconnects. If I shut down the computer for a bit, it will connect and work for awhile. Anyone have any idea what's up? Thanks in advance.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
I'm not sure why... but even my 2009 macbook does this in mac os, but not windows.

I have a fairly old macbook, 2007, but am running Snow Leopard. Recently it has taken to randomly disconnecting from our house's WiFi network. The other computers in the house connect fine, but my MacBook sometime just disconnects and it shows an exclamation point over the WiFi bars in the top right corner. It then asks for the password, even though I have it set to connect automatically, then it never reconnects. If I shut down the computer for a bit, it will connect and work for awhile. Anyone have any idea what's up? Thanks in advance.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
Could be a channel conflict with cordless phones or neighbouring access points, worth a shot to see if this fixes the problem.

I had this problem and changing the channel solved the problem. It was odd, there are two old white MacBooks in my house and only mine was playing up.

Benjaminmt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
I had this problem and changing the channel solved the problem. It was odd, there are two old white MacBooks in my house and only mine was playing up.

You have the steps to change the channel??? I'm not quite sure how to do that...thanks!

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
What did you change the channel to? I changed mine to wireless G only and it didn't help. I don't have any cordless phones in my house.

msjones

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
Switching to wireless g isn't the same as changing the channel.

Changing channels on a router differs by brand, you should download the user manual specific to your router model.

You have to navigate to your routers config page using your web browser the address is usually something like http://192.168.0.1 for home networks. Once logged in you hav to find the wireless settings option. You can usually find the channel option in here.

sweetcaro

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2008
Wifi disconnect issue is finally gone!

I tried _EVERYTHING_
even taking my imac 3 times to the Apple Store (not easy, it's heavy!)
And of course those dorks couldn't see _anything_ wrong because their WIFI inside the apple store has no security and the problem with the wifi disconnect is when there is security enabled (in my experience).

I just updated to Mountain Lion and the problem is gone! So it was definitely a bug in Lion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.