Macbook randomly shuts down

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mainbeam, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Mainbeam, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018

Mainbeam macrumors member

Mainbeam

Hi,

I have unfortunately spilled water on my early 2011 MBP. I immediately turned it upside down and let it dry with a fan pointed at it. I then didn't use it for a few days. It worked fine for some time (maybe two weeks) but now it randomly shuts down, (only when not plugged in to mag safe charger). If I try to restart it without it being charged, it boots with Apple logo, then I hear a click and it shuts down. Battery state check shows 'normal'. It's really annoying because I had not long upgraded the ram from 8GB to 16GB. This is the ram I bought https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008PSGRSS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I'm unsure whether the problem is the water spill or the new ram. I've googled it and there are some suggestions to change the keyboard/power button.

Has anyone experienced this problem and is there a permanent fix?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

2. Shadow Jolteon macrumors regular

Shadow Jolteon

I've seen this quite a bit on liquid-damaged devices, and unfortunately the fix would generally be to replace the logic board.

If you're confident opening up and disassembling your computer, you can also try carefully cleaning the corrosion from the logic board. This could either have no effect, or make things worse, depending on the damage. You can find guides on this online.

If you don't want to go that route, you can try taking it into your local computer repair shop. Chances are, they'll just quote you for a new logic board and other parts, though, which is generally way more than a computer of that age is worth.

3. Mainbeam thread starter macrumors member

Mainbeam

Thanks,

I was worried it might be the end for my MBP. I'll have to consider buying a new computer. At least I can do a back up because it works fine with mag safe attached.

4. Attonine, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018

Attonine macrumors 6502a

The most important thing with a water spill is to cut the power immediately and If possible remove the battery, do not try to power on until everything is 100% dry. Any moisture mixed with electricity will create short circuits and lots of other damage which goes along with this. Much of this damage may be impossible to see and some may not present until weeks or months after the soaking. The computer needs to be dried quickly to help prevent corrosion, which brings its own problems. Don’t believe fancy old wives tales about rice and other dessecants, dry it the obvious way, hot air; hair dryer, airing cupboard, something like this. The faster that moisture evaporates the less chance there is for corrosion.

With your laptop it’s difficlt to say whether it’s water damage or RAM. There are so many things that could be damaged from liquid that could cause the issue you are describing. Likewise a bad RAM stick could cause it too. I hate to say it, but I do think the bath you gave the computer probably has caused some damage. It’s probably going to be a costly fix from a repair shop. Sorry.

5. Mainbeam thread starter macrumors member

Mainbeam

No worries, thanks your opinion.