Macbook randomly shuts down

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by orbit, Mar 29, 2009.

1. orbit macrumors member

Hi there,

I had an intel 2Ghz macbook running the latest operating system and firmware version. And starting about 2 hours ago it keeps randomly shutting down. It has happened twice while I was watching a movie and then again as I tried to boot from the apple hardware test cd. This makes me think its a hardware problem.

Anyone have any ideas whats causing it?
    Ill see if I can get it to stay on long enough to complete the hardware test will write back once thats done.

Thanks

2. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

1st generation MacBooks had a similar issue, it was referred to as Random Shutdown Disorder. I'm not really sure what caused it, but mine had it. An hour at the Apple store fixed it. Think it had something to do with how a heat sensor was mounted near a heat sink. I'd call Apple, or make an appointment at the Genius bar if there's a store nearby.

3. orbit thread starter macrumors member

unfortunately I am from NZ and there is no official apple store, and my warranty has run out.

Just tried the hardware test again and it shutdown at the same point as last time, at the "checking memory" part. I have 2gig of 3rd party ram in the laptop so perhaps that is the case? allthough it has worked fine without any problems for about 2 - 3 months since ive installed it. Only today has it started playing up.

Any more ideas?

4. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Nope, but there are other more experienced and knowledgeable people on this forum. One of them will chime in eventually.

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Just as a control situation, throw the factory RAM back in and see what happens...

6. orbit thread starter macrumors member

yeah I was thinking about that but Im currently living away from home (where my apple ram is) and will not be able to put it back in until I go home on the weekend

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

My MBP use to shut down randomly after the battery reached sub 50%. The problem indeed turned out to be the battery.

8. orbit thread starter macrumors member

9. Chozo macrumors member

Does it reboot or just shutdown?

I'm really thinking you might have a RAM problem. The RAM can become faulty or even certain sectors are faulty and then you have a big problem.

Have you downloaded anything new in the past few days?

Can you check the cpu temp at the shutdown with iStat or something similar?

10. orbit thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies.
    It was shutting down, not restarting.

Hasnt happened again, since that day